Competition handgun suggestions?

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by trstncmpbll, Jan 17, 2010.

1. trstncmpbll

trstncmpbll New Member

So this is a totally new thing to me. Is it all about .22 cals and long barrels? So far I really like the ruger mark III comp. But can anyone tell me what makes a pistol competition worthy and maybe so guns to check out.
    Thanks a lot

2. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Sorry trs, I though you were talking about IDPA, their min requirement there is 9mm. I own a couple of 22's and I like your choice of the Ruger Mark III. My choice would be the 6 inch Hunter. You just have to love those fluted barrels but the 6 inch Slab Side would be a good choice also.

Jim

3. trstncmpbll

trstncmpbll New Member

Either way I want to get a gold plated mark iii. What's a 9mm you reccomend

4. bigjim

bigjim New Member

I always get in trouble making recomendation, BUT - I purchased two guns for IDPA competition. These are not ones that I am going to worry about puting 10,000 or more rounds through. They were bought to be beaten up.
    Each match you shoot is between 100 and 150 rounds per match, 6 or 7 matches per year.

The first was a Taurus PT92 AFS in stainless steel 9mm.

The second was a FNH FNP-40 also in stainless steel 40 S&W.

This one just said take me home, take me home.

[​IMG]

A lot of people will tell you to get a Glock 17 (9mm) but with out a hammer and manual safety with will limit the class you can use it in.

Get a stainless PT92 and it will nock your socks off on how well you can shoot. There are six stages to each match, on the last one I shot this year I fired 31 shots in 40 seconds with no points down (no misses).

Jim

5. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

What competition are you considering getting involved in? I shoot
    Speed Steel, USPSA, and GSSF. I can do all three with one gun.

I dont's shoot all three with one gun---I'm classified in all 6 USPSA
    divisions, and you can't do that with one gun!:)

6. trstncmpbll

trstncmpbll New Member

I'm not sure on that. What all kinds are there? Would a xdm be a good place to start since it has a match grade barrel and is pretty accurate, I love that gun so it might be a win win for me?

7. zhuk

zhuk New Member

As has been said, depends on what competition you'll be doing. We can only do IPSC here, and for the Production category (pretty much as it comes out of the factory, no serious tweaking) the XDm would be a good start (suggesting that as you didn't mention your level of experience either. I have less than 6 months personally lol)

I'd love to get one, but anything less than a 5" barrel is illegal in Aus :(

8. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

The Ruger's a great gun (I own the Competition model you're looking at, and love it), and will hold it's own in hyper-accurate .22 competitions, but the S&W Model 41 is apparently the gold standard for .22's at the present time. A couple of guys at my local range shoot with them, and their target sheets consist of pretty much one ragged hole.

For IDPA, the most likely division for a newbie is Stock Service Pistol, which requires an "off-the-shelf" semi-auto pistol, 9mm or larger. The Glock 17 is a popular choice. Two of the up-and-comers, though, are the Springfield XDm and Smith & Wesson M&P. I own an M&P9 Pro series, and my brother owns the XDm 9mm, and they're both fantastic guns - beautifully accurate and a pleasure to shoot. But, try all three: all the recommendations in the world don't matter compared to how well a given gun works for you.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  9. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Mrbluesky

I have to agree with you on the XDm Tacktical in 40, but it was a little too high in price for my budget. Question, doesn't the XD put you in ESP class because it's SA only??

Jim

10. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

The striker-fired pistols (Glock, XD, M&P, most modern polymer-framed pistols) fall into the SSP category. I haven't actually gotten the chance to shoot in competition, yet, but several people in this thread use the M&P for SSP, and the XD action works the same way.

11. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Actually it doesn't, the Glock when you chamber a round, decocks it's self and fires only Double Action (DAO), the XD's do not decock themselves and remain cocked and locked and are SA, but do have two safeties one pistol grip and one trigger. So Glocks should be used SSP only and XDs ESP only. Pistols with a hammer and manual safety can be used DA or SA and can be used in both SSP or ESP.

Jim

12. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

Not quite.

1. Decocked
    2. Pistol is charged. Round is chambered, and striker set at half-cock
    3. Trigger pulled. Striker is fully cocked, then released
    4. Recoil charges the pistol again, chambering a new round and setting the striker back at half-cock.

This is how striker-fired pistols work, be they Glock or XD. The Glock adds a trigger safety, which must be depressed before the trigger can be pulled, and the XD further adds the grip safety, which must be depressed in order for the slide to move, but the trigger action is the same.

13. bigjim

bigjim New Member

You are almost right, but that little stainless pin that sticks out from the back of the XD means you are fully cocked and ready to fire (not decocked). Don't take my word for it check with the manufacturer or look at your XD. It is the same for my Taurus PT140, once the round is chambered the pistol is ready for SA fire, even though it has no hammer.

Jim

14. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

Ready to fire in the sense that pulling the trigger will fire, yes. ONLY releasing the striker at that point, though, will not generate enough energy to fire. This is true of both the Glock and the XD, because the cocking cycle completes only when the trigger is pulled. I guess this was enough for IDPA to classify striker-fired pistols as double action.

15. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Check with the manufacturer.

16. trstncmpbll

trstncmpbll New Member

Yeah with in the next few weeks I'm going to get an xdm. Ill regret it if I dont

17. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

Per IDPA HQ, the XD can not be used in SSP. You can down load to eight rounds in the magazine and shoot a 45 ACP XD in the CDP division or you can load it to ten rounds and shoot any caliber in ESP. Like I said though, SSP is not an option for an XD. The Glock and M&P can go SSP, ESP, or CDP depending on caliber. You can contact IDPA HQ for their "reasoning", but that's their answer.

18. 38super

38super New Member

.22 Cal Competition Pistol

IMHO there is only one the S&W Model 41. You can get it with a 7" or 5.5" barrel, there is also a 7" barrel with integral compensator. They are super accurate. You can put 1911 grips on them, a magwell, just about any optic, they can really be customized including removing the slide tang or changing to a Bully Custom Barrel (used by top shooters in .22 cal steel plate competition).

They are pricey but you will never regret it. I have one and in 12,000+ rounds only had five FTEs' and that was in 35 - 38 degree temperatures. The coating on the rounds got sticky.

All .22 cal pistols are ammo sensitive and you will need to find what works best in you particular pistol.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

19. oldgrunt

oldgrunt New Member

As stated, it depends on the competition. I shot many years in bullseye with a bull bbl ruger MKII and changed out the trigger and sear. It will keep up with any S&W 41 out there (had a 41 and sold it when I got the ruger because of the price difference).
    Kim

20. marinesniper

marinesniper New Member

i would prefer the Beretta 92F. it is reliable and is accurate.