Competition .22LR Gun

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Mandy, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Mandy

Mandy New Member

I posted this on another forum, but here at FTF there are a bunch of knowledgeable people so here we go

Lately at my local range there has been some target tournaments in which I have participated, first I used my carry gun, then my 6" 357 with 38 spl loads and still need more accuracy to be a contender, I mean some guys have race guns tricked with special trigger jobs, weights here and there and match barrels, guns dedicated to target shooting only.

I don't want to modify any of my current guns so I need a new gun, after reading some, I'm set on Ruger SS Mark III, my problem is that I need to decide if I get a 6.88" Slab-Sided Bull Barrel or a 6.88" Target Crowned Fluted Barrel.

Any pros or cons with these barrels, this gun will be strictly for competition and target practice, no defense or small critters will be killed with this gun

Also if there are better choices than the Mark III, I would like to hear about them.

Since the competitions are on a clock, x amount of shots in x amount of seconds, I want to eliminate the DA on follow up shots for faster target acquisition, I can modify my 686 for a very light DA, but as stated I don't want to modify this gun since it serves me well for a sidearm while hunting and I like the heavier pull for this hunting application.

The .22LR cal reasoning is that since the .22LR is a small cal, recoil would be minimum thus target acquisition for follow up shots will be faster and I still don't have a .22LR so why not start with a competition dedicated gun.
    I'm leaning towards the 6.88" Slab-Sided Bull Barrel since it seems it's heavier.

I still got some time to decide until I get some money I'm waiting to receive.
    Am I missing something?
    Thanks

2. Jay

Jay New Member

I don't shoot in competition, but my most accurate guns are the S&W model 41, and one of my Browning Buckmarks with 5.5" barrels. I have a Ruger Mk II with a 4" barrel, but it's not as accurate as the others.

My Buckmark Silhouette (10" barrel) is very accurate but tough to hold up free hand for very long.

Attached Files:

3. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

For a no compromise .22 semi-auto I would look at the S&W 41. The Ruger Mk3 series are good guns. But the triggers out of the box are less than inspring. As for accuracy, I'm probably not terribly demanding, but mine is more than acceptable. I use mine (5.5" bull barrel) for .22 pin matches and it's more than accurate enough for that. Serious paper punching is another issue entirely. If you do end up getting the Ruger, check out these guys:

https://www.volquartsen.com/

They can help you make your Ruger into something pretty cool. Heck, you could even order one of their cool looking custom guns.
    Of course, Mine's not nearly that cool. Still effective though.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  4. Mandy

Mandy New Member

Just checked the SW41, sweet gun, but almost double the price of the Rugger MKIII, not discarded for sure, but difficult to get in the near future.

Thanks for you input, impressive collection you got there.

5. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Look into Hi-Standard.

Find yourself a lightly used one with a 7" bull or counter-weighted

barrel, and call it a day.

6. freefall

freefall New Member

My Ruger Mk I with 5.5" bull barrel is fiercely accurate.

7. Clem

Clem New Member

The S&W Model 41 is a good candidate, but expensive. If money is a problem, you can get a Ruger MK III and get pretty close. The MK III may need some work, though. IME, the trigger probably won’t be as good as a 41, but it can be fixed with a Volquartzen sear and other internal parts. I put a MK II hammer and bushing in when I put in the VQ sear and eliminated the mag safety. The differences between the Hunter and Slab Side are about 4 oz. in weight difference, the Slab Side being heavier, and the sights. The Slab Side has a black square post front/square notch rear, while the Hunter has a HiViz front with V rear. I have found I can’t hit anything with the HiViz/V combination. I converted mine back to square sights.

Another minor area of concern, IME the stainless Ruger barrels can be a little rough and may take some breaking it before they achieve maximum accuracy. When they are broken it they shoot very well, but they may not shoot that well out of the box.

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I myself would look for a good used Ruger MkII with a 6 7/8" barrel the govt target model. Mine will shoot the hair off a nats nuts at 25 yards. Within 50 yards if you are a squirrel or other small vermin your as good as dead if I have that gun with me.

For me that barrel length offers enough weight to be much more steady without having all the weight as the 10" model.

Guns For Sale - Pistols For Sale - RUGER MARK II GOVERNMENT TARGET MODEL .22 CAL - Auction: 9756444 (Ended 06/09/2010, 16:20:22 PST)

9. utf59

utf59 New Member

Hold both. If possible, hold them both when your hands are tired. The heavier barrel isn't just going to add weight — it's going to add weight out front. See how each balances in your hand. If you're going to be fine with that by the end of a match, not just for a few seconds at the gun counter, then the heavier barrel may be for you.

As others have said, there is a bunch of after-market stuff available for the Ruger to improve its already-excellent accuracy.

10. Mandy

Mandy New Member

11. Jay

Jay New Member

Congratulations. That's a fine pistol, and you should get many years of enjoyment out of it.

12. utf59

utf59 New Member

Congrats! Looks like a great choice!

13. Mandy

Mandy New Member

Here it is, I need to sight the cheap Red Dot, stock sights works great, need more range time to evaluate properly, just did a quickey with 50 rnds just to test it how it fires.

Attached Files:

14. Mandy

Mandy New Member

Would appreciate suggestions for a open carry holster (range use only), with or without the Red Dot.

Thanks

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Now buy several different brands of target ammo and find out which one your pistol likes. You will be in for some sticker shock on the price of ammo. Make sure you try some Aguila Target. If your gun likes it, it is a lot cheaper.

16. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

You did great...heavy barrel, good length..all around great pistol. Since we're doing pics...here's mine:

[​IMG]

17. Mandy

Mandy New Member

I did the field strip drill since I read so much about how difficult it was to do and how many people steered away from the MK's due to this drill, even the manual acknowledge it was a bit tricky.

I can say that it's not more difficult than any other gun I have stripped before and no need to use tools either so my thinking is that people tend to exaggerate about this and you only need to pay attention to the position of the hammer and hammer strut when reassembling the gun, in fact is very easy to field strip and reassemble even with my NIB, never used, not broken in gun.

18. Mandy

Mandy New Member

^^ Very nice competition model, that was my first choice but I got the Target model and I'm happy with it, a surprise was that the Target model is tapped and came with the rail for the scope.

19. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Now you need a volquartsen (MKII) kit (and the MKII trigger) to put on that bad boy.

I'm probably going to order mine next month :)

20. therewolf

therewolf New Member

A couple of real nice target Rugers there.

I missed my chance to get one a couple months back...