Compensator for SA1911?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by EMTchad, Aug 21, 2011.

1. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

Hello gentlemen, I am thinking of trying a compensater for my SA 1911 loaded. I saw some cool comps that have a barrel bushing type insert for easy use, what are comps even good for? I hear it's better recoil and most important... ACCURACY?

2. colmustard

colmustard New Member

I have a wilson comp for my 1911, I only have it for range fun, never really noticed much differance, maybe a little less recoil. It is more of a cosmetic thing in my opinion, but I like mine and think they are well built and kinda cool looking.

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

When shooting a full-size steel 1911 chambered in 45 ACP there is NO need for a comp.

Now should you chamber that same gun in 460 Rowland, you better have that comp!

This is Fenrir before I peened the finish, dressed in Stag;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Peened and dressed in Hogues;

Attached Files:

• FR1.JPG
      FR1.JPG
      File size:
      51.6 KB
      Views:
    • FR2.JPG
      FR2.JPG
      File size:
      80.2 KB
      Views:
  4. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

Why not cane???

5. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

I like the wood wrap arounds, very pretty

6. Glore

Glore New Member

That is a sharp looking handgun, I second the grip comment, sexy!

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I like a comp on the .38Super. The round travels fast enough to make the comp work like it should.
    The .45ACP is a slower traveling round and does not produce enough to have an affect.

IMO, a comp on a .45 is like putting a spoiler on the rear of a front wheel drive car. Looks nice, but not needed.

8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I soooo want to go shooting with Cane. :D

9. instate73

instate73 New Member

Where did that Comp come from? It also looks like an extension, is that due to conversion? I really like the look of it.

My Stock PT1911 .45

image-2846348928.jpg

KPL

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

Its built onto the barrel. Ive git one like that cept mine is parkerized. For the 460 its required. The 45acp doesnt have enough excess gas to make a compensator work. Its a waste of effort unless you just want to look cool.

The difference tween a 45acp and the 460rowland is about the same as going from 9mm to 357magnum in felt recoil. Even with the compensator its a very torquey round.

11. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

I thought it still helps the recoil a bit because of front end weight and better accuracy, or why would they make so many of them for 1911s? This is weird.

12. danf_fl

22" rims on a car.
    Do they help? Or are they bling?

Comps on .45's
    Do they help? Or are they bling?

13. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

Right, but they don't have an explanation for 22 inch rims besides showyness without significance, compensators have explainations for it's purposes even for 45's which is confusing because everyone makes sense.

14. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

You can get different springs to help with recoil, if want weight put a barrel weight on it. The compensator look cool, but I thank you're better off with out.

15. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

Chad,
    Here is the main reason, as I understand it (someone can correct me if I am wrong)...
    The .45 ACP cartridge runs at very low pressure (compared to say, 9mm or .38 Super or .40/10mm.), trying to compensate it is pretty much a waste. The added weight on the muzzle has as much effect on muzzle lift as a comp in .45 ACP. You need more pressure to get a comp to really be effective. Comps are also a major pain to clean, especially if you run lead through them.

That said, I still did get the Wilson multi-comp (which is a bushing/comp combination) for mine. This was mainly because I have two boys (aged 14 & 11) who like to shoot & I thought that it may help them (even if just slightly) with the recoil. There really was no noticable difference.

I will say that the Wilson part is very quality made and fit my slide much tighter than my stock bushing. For that reason, I did notice an improvement in accuracy. I have since replaced the Wilson multi-comp with a custom machined EWG (Evolution Gun Works) barrel bushing.

Here is a pic or two of mine with the Wilson multi-comp installed:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

Yeah thanks Bart that helped me quite a bit. I am thinking of getting the same one just to test it out, and I only shoot FMJ 230 grains. Did u notice a slight accuracy difference though? And is it possible to use it with a GI plug?

17. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Chad, trust the old canester on this one, let me put it in engineering terms;

The formula:

[​IMG] = [​IMG]

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

Magna porting on a 1911 works compensators dont. Magna porting ruins the value. I bought a magna ported 1911 series 70 in the late 80s early 90s was a decent gun only reason i sold it was a cash crunch due to a terrible car wreck. Recoil was on order of a hot loaded 9mm.

The difference is where the ports are. Compensator the gasses are blowing past the bullet. porting the barrel the gasses are still under full pressure cuz the bulllet hasnt left the barrel. So the gas has something substantial to work on.

19. danf_fl

The money spent on a comp for a .45 would be better off on buying practice rounds.

I'm saying no cuz "been there, done that", and in the end it was a waste of good money for me.

20. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

Damn... Everything makes sense and cane I could not stop laughing, alright you all convinced me.