Compensating the wind when shooting with iron sights

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by 11811O2, Jul 22, 2011.

1. 11811O2

11811O2 New Member

Hi guys.
    I'm new, so pray bear with me should I happen to misplace a thread or two.

When I'm shooting (prone, 300m), I usually take my Schmidt-Rubin Infanteriegewehr Modell 1911 (for convenience's sake abbreviated to "L11").
    Solid Swiss rifle, straight-pull bolt action, 1'308mm of fun, shooting 7.5x55mm (GP11 / 7.5 Swiss), six rounds a mag.
    Easy to shoot, easy to care for, only half a downside I can think of (in non-combat marksmanship, that is): You cannot adjust the sights for wind.

Which is what brings me here.
    As you can see, the sights can be adjusted but to distances and only between 300-2000m.
    Well, I said "half a downside". That is, because technically, you don't need to be able to adjust the sights.
    In a nutshell, you aim a tad off-target to allow for the wind to take care of the rest.
    Now I'm curious, though, how much, exactly, is a tad?

Probably necessary stats:
    Distance to target: 300m
    Length of Barrel: 780mm
    Length of Drall: 270mm, right
    Muzzle Velocity: 760m/s
    Bullet Weight: 11.3-12.3g
    Angle to Wind: variable
    Strength of Wind: variable

So, how would I go about working out the "tad"?

Ps: Images not by me. I can, however, shoot and upload pretty
    much any angle and/or part with my not-so-good camera, if necessary.

2. Wambli

Wambli Member

A very important portion of the equation is your bullet's BC (ballistic coefficient). You can get those from the bullet manufacturers websites.

Here you go:
    www.jacksonrifles.com/files/pejsa%20ballistics.xls

You need Microsoft Excel (or the mobile versions that come with most smart phones) to run it. I have it downloaded in my Android phone and it works like a champ.

3. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Practice. It is called Kentucky windage!

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Bout it -
    Making things more complicated than need be is not a good thing IMHO :eek:

5. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

What I was going to say. :cool:

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Part of the training of a long range shooter is to "read the wind". What does a 5 mph wind look like? In regard to leaves, branches, smoke, tall grass, flags. A 10 mph? Is it blowing L to R, at angle, or towards you? Elevation is quickly adjustable, since at long range, a rifle with sights set to close range would block your view of the target completely with the raised muzzle. But you could hold 1-2 body widths of your target left/right and still SEE target. Known as "Kentucky windage"