Comparison

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by wiliardo123, Aug 6, 2012.

1. wiliardo123

wiliardo123 New Member

I have a 40 s&w. DA/SA
    Will it be better to switch to 9mm or 45 considering the price versus effectiveness?

And will it be better to get a DAO for home defense. ?

2. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

The 9mm will be much more cost effective. The .45 will have more stopping power. Both are perfectly good rounds and will stop any bad guy with good shot placement.

As for which one is "The Best", that will vary with every shooter. The best round for you is the round you shoot the best. Shot placement is far more important than caliber size.

3. Donn

Donn Active Member

Kelly's right. Unless you load your own, the 9 will be a lot cheaper to shoot. You'll need to practice, whatever you decide on.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

And what is wrong with the .40?

5. wiliardo123

wiliardo123 New Member

Nothing wrong with the 40 in fact I believe it has the speed of the 9 and the stopping power of the 45 approx.

Just the DAO is what I need.
    I don't want to have a DA /SA without a safety.

The DA/SA HK has it all.
    Decocker , thumb safety in one switch but it's very pricey.
    So if I can't afford that then I need to settle with a double action only. What would be a reliable brand.

6. Werminator

Werminator Member

Could look at sig. They have the double to single with a decocker on most models... maybe the sp2022 would be a good option of budget balancing performance...

7. therewolf

therewolf New Member

A decocker on a rifle?

8. wiliardo123

wiliardo123 New Member

Yeah the sp2022 is a good option but it doesn't have a thumb safety.

I only know the HK has it all. Is there any brands that have the thumb safety and the Decocker. ?

9. wiliardo123

wiliardo123 New Member

Oh no it's about a handgun.
    I've never heard about a rifle with a Decocker did you ? Lol.
    You never know now a days
    It may be a good idea but will all depend on the use and purpose of the rifle.
    Thank you for sharing fellow.

10. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Sorry, I'm the only one who noticed this

is the rifle section of the forum.

Never mind...

11. B5Dan

B5Dan New Member

I like the .40... Kinda... I had a Glock 27 and a Hi Point carbine, but got rid of them I hated the Glock to death. But it was small for me and the round felt "snappy". Turns out that it was just a matter of too little gun to be comfortable for me personally. I LOVE the .40 in a CZ75. If yu don't have to change calibers, don't. Even though I hated the Glock, I almost regret selling it. I could have traded it for a RAMI or something...

12. wiliardo123

wiliardo123 New Member

It's a good thought but the CZ is a little big.
    I'm thinking of HK it has the reliability , Decocker , thumb safety , loaded chamber indicator, DA/SA.
    I love the .40 better than the .45 you have the great size , speed and almost similar recoil than the 9mm.

13. B5Dan

B5Dan New Member

I'm coming back to the .40. I've decided I like it as much as I do the .45. And since I started shooting 10mm, nothing else matters lol!
    The H&K would be a darn fine choice, just out of my price range for sure.
    Wait! The CZ P-06 has all of the things you listed (I think) except for the loaded chamber indicator. And you don't need that. Just always have one in the chamber. :D. And it would probably be about $300 less. THat's a lot of ammo

14. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Why do you feel the need for a thumb safety and decocker? To each their own, but I just don't understand why it's necessary. When the hammer is down the pull is heavy enough to negate the need for an external safety.

15. downsouth

downsouth New Member

That is how I feel also. New pistol is s/d with decocker and no external safety.

16. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Nothing, I have just chosen to limit my handgun ammo requirements to 22lr, 38 spl, 357mag, 9mm and 45acp. That is enough mouths, er, chambers to feed for me.

OP, get the pistol you like in the caliber you prefer and learn how it works, you should be good to go.

17. wiliardo123

wiliardo123 New Member

That's true

18. B5Dan

B5Dan New Member

It will vary from pistol to pistol as well. Try out as many as you can. Or not. I said I was only buying one. I have... several now... Haha