Comparing .22's

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by CEB444, Jul 3, 2012.

1. CEB444

CEB444 New Member

I am looking into a Ruger 22/45 Target. Though I haven't done much research, I know ruger has been doing .22 pistols for a long time so I'm wondering if there are any equivalent guns that you guys want to recommend. I'm looking for around $350 but I might go up to $400 if needed

Thanks

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

The Smith and Wesson .22s are a great starter pistol and priced well.

3. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

Or the Browning buckmark
    Or just buy a Ruger you can't go wrong with one

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Any of the major brands will do you well- Colt, S&W, Browning, or Ruger. Cost will likely favor Ruger. They started making the Standard Automatic about 52 years ago. Colt has been making the Woodsman since about 1938, Browning the Buckmark since 85. If you can find an older High Standard in good shape for a reasonable amount (they can be pricey) you would not be disappointed.

5. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Had a Sig Mosquito. Would NOT recommend.
    Had a Ruger 22/45 Would recommend. Sweet shooter. Take down's a bitch tho, couldn't take it anymore.

GS1911. Love this thing. Would definitely recommend.

6. CEB444

CEB444 New Member

I have heard that the take downs a little tricky but what makes it difficult?

7. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

Many people worry about the take-down on their guns. First you actually have to "take-down" your guns very seldom(maybe never). All the guns listed above come apart different but but all can be done by someone who can follow the directions in the owners manuals or on the 'net. Worry about something else.

8. MrMayhem

MrMayhem New Member

I completely agree with hiwall. If your going to have a firearm that requires takedown, be ready to do some general maintenance. Practice makes perfect right ?

9. Vincine

Vincine New Member

10. 4sig

4sig New Member

Try a Sig 1911 .22. Shoots well, easy to take down. Very reliable

11. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have the 22/45. Great gun. You wont be sorry if you buy one. Just be sure to hold on to the owners manual. I rarely clean mine anyway. It never gives me trouble. I probably break it down every 1500 or 2000 rounds. All my other guns I clean after every trip to the range.

12. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I've had a bunch 22's over the years. I still have a 22/45 but I have changed the barrel/receiver to a tactical solutions bbl (I just got a really good deal on it). I personally think out of the box the Browning Buckmarks have the best triggers. They also point very well. I do thing the Rugers point a little better for me. I've not owned any of the S&W auto 22's but have shot several. I like them just fine I just never seen one when I was thinking about getting a 22.

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have a Mark III 22/45 Target model. i can add my recommendation to the list as well. the Buckmark is an excellent pistol also, but little more expensive. the S & W M41 is a very nice pistol, if you can find for a reasonable price. the Colt's Woodsman, oooh, good luck. very accurate and high in price, but a really sweet pistol. of those i listed, the Ruger Mark III is your best bargain. accurate, well made, very reliable and decently priced.

the Ruger isn't really that hard to field strip, just the first few times on a new pistol, everything is new and tight. once you have done it a few times it does get easier. just follow the directions in the owners manual or go to YouTube and watch some of the videos.

after 2000+ rounds through mine, i still enjoy shooting it and so far every failure has been ammo related. i paid about $270 + tax NIB for mine.

14. CEB444

CEB444 New Member

Just wondering here but what ammo gave you trouble? Or was it a certain type of ammo? I know every gun is different but I have heard a trend of failures with low velocity rounds.

15. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I tried .22lr Winchester Wildcat in my 22/45 at first. It was awful. With various CCIs & Eley, no problem.

16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

if i remember correctly it was some of the Winchester bulk pack HV ammo. i know it was the ammo and not the pistol. problem was FTF, and it was doing the same thing in my Marlin M60 rifle. i think about 10-15 out of a box of 525. didn't have any problems with other brands and i just quit using that particular brand of ammo. it was a fault of the ammo and not the pistol. i only use the HV ammo because both my pistol and rifle are semi-auto rimfires.

17. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Honestly takedown on the 22/45 is complicated and hard on a new gun. Once done a few dozen timse to break it in, it does become easier. I took me a while because mine was very very tight, and I swear I thought I was going to break it trying to take it down and putting it back together.

I've tried my firens that is a few years old and it was much easier as its been around the block a few times but honestly I don't miss my 22/45 at all. GSG 1911 (sig1911 is made by GSG iirc) is so much easier to take down, and a lots nicer to shoot. Grips and angles identical to a 1911. I porbabaly have over 5k through mines and only a handfull of ftfires mostly ammo related.

18. clue

clue New Member

Tikki- What problems did you have with your Mosquito? Im trying to get my fiance interested in shooting and was considering buying her the pink one. Trust me wasn't my first choice but she like the looks of it. I wanted to buy her a mark III. I don't want to hi jack the thread so you can pm me if you want. Thanks!

19. TroyS

TroyS New Member

I picked up the Sig 1911 a couple months back. Never had a problem with about 300 rds so far. Girlfriend loves shooting it. Her only complaint is the mags chip her nails when loading.

20. 4sig

4sig New Member

I bought a mosquito as my first hand gun and followed with a Sig P226. I'd you keep the slide rails lubricated (apply just before shooting) it should be fine. Once I started this problems went away and I use CCI Mini Mag ammo. If that's too much trouble the go with the Sig 1911 .22. Good luck