compact rifle that shoots pistol rounds

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Crazycastor, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

I'm looking for a compact rifle that will fit in my back pack when hiking around. I will be crossing freeways and walking thru a couple of small towns so I don't want it to be noticable. I would also like it to shoot pistol rounds 357, 44 or what ever, but not .22 rounds. Its not one for SHTF but one for protection after we stop to camp. Its a 5 day casual hike nothing to serious. Can anyone recommend a rifle for this.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

if your limiting to pistol ammo why not just carry a handgun?? pistol caliber rifles still have to be 16+ in barrel length.

there arent any good collapsable pistol chambered rifles.

if your doing the breakdown thing prolly better off with a mossberg 590 pretty easy to dissassemble and excellent for bears and two legged goblins

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013

3. Werminator

Werminator Member

You could look for a KelTec sub 2000. Folds in half and is pretty light all things considered. Available in 9mm and .40 S&W with several options on magazine compatability. Maybe up gun a bit to the KelTec SU16c which is chambered for .223 and compatible with AR mags. I can't think of many others that can be place inside a backpack easily at any sort of reasonable prices.

4. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

What about a scoped TC pistol with a scope. These take down and are available in all calibers. I like the Bruno ZKM .22 Mag take down rifle. It is very compact. You can also fire the .22 Winchester Auto for taking small game single shot. :)

5. magnumman

magnumman New Member

I don't know how big of a pack you have, but the Rossi mares leg is pretty cool. I am pretty sure it is legally a handgun, somebody correct me if I am wrong about that. They make them in 357 and 44, probably other calibers as well.

image-3873569823.jpg

6. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Sounds like you really need a good handgun and some practice.

7. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

http://www.guns-rifles-firearms.com/index_files/Page349.html

Feather says this is a backpacker. My time with pistol caliber rifles has been short the two times I had them, not enough utility. I would only have another if I was carrying the same caliber handgun. If the rifle is to be your only weapon put me in with the Kel Tec or similar crew for a .223.

8. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If you have a high budget there are some custom gunsmiths who can make your lever action into
    A takedown rifle.

9. icallshotgun88

icallshotgun88 New Member

Well here's your most bad *** option

A Kriss vector rifle

.45 ACP
    It has a foldable stock that will allow it to fit in a bag or you can break it down if its still too big.

http://www.kriss-usa.com/carbines/crb-45-acp

Attached Files:

10. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Beretta CX4. It is tough, weather resistant, easy to clean, and can be had in 45 ACP.

11. orangello

orangello New Member

Due to the calibers mentioned, the mare's leg is what came to my mind immediately. Probably wouldn't look as "black rifle" as the keltec or the kriss; that might help with game wardens and such.

12. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Sorry man I own one of these and even broken down its just to big for a pack roughly 23" broken down between the end of the barrel and the bottom rear where the BCG slides in . Now they make it in a pistol version with no stock ;) that might be the ticket. But you could always have one of these made in 9mm , .40 or 10mm , jump through the hoops and apply for the SBR stamp . Thats compact enough 14" to fit in my soft brief case :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

My Keltec Sub 2000 in 9mm,also comes in .40 cal.

Wood furniture is home made.

Thousands of rounds down range, never a had a problem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Folds to total 16"
    Jim

14. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

That wood is absolutely beautiful!
    Awesome job!

I second the sub-2000.
    Wish I had one.

15. orangello

orangello New Member

I wish they made one in 10mm to take the G20 mags. :(

16. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

A Ruger 77/357 or 77/44 are lightweight, all weather, accurate, rotary magazine fed, compact, bolt action rifle.
    Also, a good possibility is a Rossi M92 in. 357 or. 44 Magnum. It can be had in a 16" barrel with a 9+1 capacity and a COPY of a time proven action.
    If you're not worried about capacity or follow up shots, an H&R Handi-Rifle in .357 or .44 is an affordable option.

17. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Single shot H&R Handi Rifle. Available in 357 and 44. One screw to take the barrel and hand guard off. You will pick up 300-400 fps because of barrel length. Can be ordered as a set with a shotgun barrel
    http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/handiRifle.asp
    Other than that, a Keltec Sub 2000 would give you a lot of fire power in 9mm or 40 S&W.
    For real cheap, an H&R 12 or 20 gauge with buckshot or slugs. One screw to break down and you could shorten the barrel yourself. Just replace the take down screw with a thumb screw.
    Just thought of the AR15 carbine. 2 pins and it is 2 pieces and very compact.

18. JW357

JW357 New Member

I think the Mare's Leg is pretty neat. If it were me, I'd choose that in .357 Magnum for compatibility with my wheel gun.

19. magnumman

magnumman New Member

I bought the marlin 1894c in 357 for the same reason. Its really convenient to have a rifle in the same caliber as your handgun. If you handload, beware that lever guns are pretty picky when it comes to bullet profile.

20. JW357

JW357 New Member

Thanks for the advice. I do handload, so I'll keep that in mind.