Compact or subcompact???

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by roosterjuicer, May 26, 2009.

1. roosterjuicer

roosterjuicer New Member

I took my CCW class the other week and now that I am done with getting married and stuff, I am going to go pay my money with the state tommorrow.

Additionally i get to do one of my favorite things...gun shopping!!! (my groomsmen were polite enough to chip in for a 550$ gift certificate at cabelas for me) I plan to carry whenever practicable. I will probably be using "a better holster" a majority of the time since i have to wear a suit to work. but when i am casual i will probably be using an inside the waistband holster.

My glock 34 is too big for the "a better holster".

So my question is, would I be better off with a compact or a subcompact? Im not a terribly good shot with a pistol. I worry that the smallness (good word) of the subcompact will be uncomfortable to shoot and will hurt my accuracy. But it will be easier and more comfortable to carry. on the other hand, i think a compact pistol will be much easier to shoot, but not as easy to carry.

whats your take?

2. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

I'll say compact.

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Hey you're the super smart lawyer, (I love disin' lawyers) get the one that fits!

You can NOT have style dictate your PD gun! You know that, you went to college!

No one looks good dead!

Get an 'effen gun that works! Even if it requires new clothes.

If you get the mouse gun you will probably do what I did, mag guide and mag extension to allow my pinkie to purchase grip, not air!

[​IMG]

4. Rare Faction

Rare Faction New Member

Don't spend those gift cards on a new gun that you won't be able to shoot well, spend it on ammo/reloading supplies for your current weapon

5. Comp23

Comp23 New Member

My compact glock 23c gets the most carry time when Im dressed in jeans and button up. But occasionally I have to carry its sub compact counter part a gock 27. Both suit me just fine even though I do prefer the 23c. Wearing a suit Id go with the compact.

6. indy_kid

indy_kid New Member

Compact!

I owned the Glock 23 (Compact) and the 27 (Subcompact) of Glock's .40 cal line. Loved the 23, could never get used to the 27. Just too damn small to get a comfortable grip and, subsequently, an accurate shot.

I'd go with the Compact of your particular line, but I'd suggest finding a range where you can try out both (including concealed carry options), then making your choice.

Buy without try can be an expensive mistake! A 50% divorce rate is proof of that!!!

7. Going Postal

Going Postal New Member

I would go with the compact also. I had a G27 and just could not shoot it accurately, just way too small (and I have small hands).

8. jng2985

jng2985 New Member

100% get what feels good go to a store with a range and test out a few. I see like this, if you truly need to use it, it will not be from far away....

9. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Sound wisdom and good advise, there! A weapon you are uncomfortable carrying or shooting is a detriment to your ability to use it when the time arises.

Get one that fits YOU! Get a holster that allows you to carry concealed with comfort....try them! Make sure you have a weapon that you can grip and won't go flying through the air when discharged.

10. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Ho, contraire. I can think of several that would fit the scenario...

11. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I find the subcompact glocks to have to short of a grip to feel safe shooting it quickly. I have to take extra time to adjust my hand to be as high as it can go without hitting the slide.

Are you looking only at glocks for carry or are you just looking for any small pistol to carry. Check out the http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/what-your-primary-carry-gun-6105/ for suggestions.

12. roosterjuicer

roosterjuicer New Member

its a tough call. I like the concealability but the grip on the subcompact is too small for my hands. how does the magazine extension work?

13. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Instead of worrying about sub-compact vs compact, ask yourself why you aren't considering a full size?

Clint Smith's words:

"A full size pistol is big to carry sometimes, but it is always big in a fight, and big is what you want. You never hear anyone complaining that their gun was too big in a gunfight."

An example: If you consider purchasing a Glock Model 19 for your carry piece, why don't you consider a Glock Model 17. The size of the 17 is not much bigger than the 19, and you have the insurance of added ammo capacity, and a slightly longer barrel, which will enhance the effective range of the fight you can bring.

Another example would be to look into the world of the revolver for defense. There are many choices out there, and you can choose from having a capacity of 5, 6, 7, or 8 rounds (.357 Magnum is popular with the different capacity offerings) at your disposal at a time. I recently shot a 7-round Smith and Wesson revolver that was smooth as butter, and very accurate all the way out to 25 yards and beyond. Revolvers are overlooked too much in this day and age. You cannot beat the simplicity of the design, and the reliability.

If you want a sure thing in the semi-auto world, though, I have only 4 numbers for you to remember........

14. roosterjuicer

roosterjuicer New Member

i want a 9mm (no flaming please) if i could find a 9mm revolver i might consider one.

i saw a compact 9mm 1911 style pistol the other day i think it was called an emp or something. i really liked it but it was a little spendy.

as to the "no fullsize" question...with that "a perfect holster" its hard to draw a gun with a long barrel or slide, i have noticed that practicing with my glock 34