Compact 1911 45 search

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by phideaux, Nov 26, 2013.

1. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

I am in luv with my new SA 1911RO

I thought about CCW it, but nah, Im gonna baby it, custom made case for it, shootit often and pamper it. Im thinking this thing is gonna be making babies, afterall it is a stud.

Which leaves me with thinking a 1911 platform for CCW.

After MANY hours online, I have narrowed it down to these two.
    Both are about the same cost. The Sig has match barrel,match sear/trigger,the Colt does not.Both weigh about the same, 25 ounces.Sig has night sights.

yeah,yeah, I cant buy both.;):)

so help me decide, with your experience, and vast knowledge. :cool:

http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/ColtPistols/ColtDefender™Series.aspx

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/1911-ultra-two-tone.aspx

Thanks

Jim

2. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

Id have to say sig. Ive been saving for the scorpion 1911 for a few months now. Having shot it, every thing feels just right.

3. JW357

JW357 New Member

Geeze that's a tough one. Both are excellent companies with stellar reputations.

I can't find it on their website - does Colt offer a lifetime warranty?

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I wish I could help you. It would be interesting to shoot them side by side.

5. phideaux

6. getem2011

getem2011 New Member

Look at Dan Wesson's ECO. I just got mine and it has been a joy to shoot. Out of the two choices you have provided I would go with the Sig. I say this because the one sig 1911 I had had no issues. I have no experience with Colts.

7. JW357

JW357 New Member

8. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

9. JW357

JW357 New Member

Thanks. I was on a phone earlier so finding that stuff is not always easy.

It appears Sig has almost an identical warranty to Colt.

I'm not liking this whole lifetime warranty for the first purchaser nonsense.

I believe the warranty should follow the life of the gun. Now I hesitate to ever buy a used Sig or Colt. I'm sure they would be perfectly functional guns, but there is a warranty for a reason and I want to be able to utilize it if ever needed.

10. phideaux

Warranty issues is why Im not considering Kimber.:rolleyes:

Jim

11. JW357

JW357 New Member

My wife and I have basically decided that, despite their beauty, we will never buy a Kimber. If they fix their silly warranty, we will consider it.

12. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

Np. Yah its kinda silly. Ive never baugh a used gun idk if i ever will?.

13. Mouser

Mouser Member

sleep on it until you find yourself thinking about one of them noticeably more often than the other one...don't lie to yourself...go buy the one your mind keeps wandering back to...your subconscious will make the call if you recognize the signs and heed the message.

14. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

There are 2 Colt Defenders for sale on this forum. One is used $800. The other is NIB $900

15. phideaux

You been reading my mind....thats usually how it turns out for me.
    Sleep on it for a couple days .....bang....I cant get away from one....I already seem to be leaning to the Sig.

Yes sir, I seen those, my problem is... I only buy used guns if they are true antiques or classic models ...on a $1000 dollar CCW ,its gotta be NIB.

Thanks for the response though.

Im not sure yet. My LGS has a Colt Defender in the case for $930 +tax, I found a Sig in Atlanta I can have in hand for $880,Includes shpng, no tax, FFL fee.

Jim

16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

if you love the SA Range Officer, check out their EMP line or the Micro Compact 45.

i bought my Loaded Micro Compact 45 almost two years ago. awesome pistol for it's size. recoil is different than my full size 1911, but it's not uncomfortable in any way. pistol is pretty damned accurate for such a short barrel too.

when i bought mine, i was deciding between the Colt Defender in 45, the SA EMP in 9mm and the SA Micro Compact in 45. all of them were nice, and i wanted to take all three, but chose the Micro Compact 45.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  17. phideaux

Thnks Axxe, I can tell you ,if I could find one, it would be my first choice.
    I CANT find one, and Im not real high on buying a used gun ,sight unseen, from a stranger.

Looks like after all my research, reviews , talking to lots of people, I am really leaning heavy to the Sig . It is as high quality and reputation as any, even has a few added nicetys over the Colt, for about $100 less at the one LGS in Georgia, most places is same cost or more.

Tried to order it this morning , but the Georgia Gun Store is closed until Friday.

Thanks for the response.

Jim

18. phideaux

Ordered it on 11/29, and picked it up today, just beat the ice storm.

I dissassembled ,cleaned ,lubed, inspected it and I cant find any tool marks or any finish ,fit problems at all.
    It is very smooth slide, trigger, hammer,

Fit and finish oooozes with quality. Feel and balance is perfect for me.

May be a few days before I can actually do the shooting part of it. Looks like we are gonna be iced in for a few days.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jim

19. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

good looking pistol Jim! very nice! :D

what was the final price on it?

20. phideaux

From Georgia Gun Store, $830.00 ,no tax, $29.00 shpng fedex 2 day.

That was the best price I could find. Most (if they had it) was $900 +.

Im sure somebody had it for $700 somewhere.;):)

Im happy.

Jim