Comments and thoughts on the Sig 226 .40 S&W

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Tidalforce79, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Tidalforce79

Tidalforce79 New Member

Hey guys, just wondering what you thought of the Sig P226 in .40, I'm interested in buying one and would like to see if anyone had a short review.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2010
  2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Too expensive for what you get. Better bang for your buck out there. That is unless you really want a Sig and are willing to pay the premium.

.40 S&W is an answer to a question never asked. Either side of .40 is a better choice, 9mm or .45 ACP.

[​IMG]

Hey, you asked. :eek:

3. Dcope01

Dcope01 New Member

You will not go wrong with the Sig P229, Shot hundreds of round, never had an issue.

4. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

P220/226/229 are great guns. Buying them brand new can set you back quite a bit, but they're almost nice enough to justify it. There are some great used deals out there.

I'm not a huge 40sw fan. It's a fine defensive caliber and all, but I'd probably lean toward a P226 in 9mm or a P220 (45acp). But if you like the 40sw and the price is right, jump on it.

5. bigbad-ratman

bigbad-ratman New Member

A short review: I love mine. Highly recomend if you are considering one.

6. misterballistic

misterballistic New Member

I really don't understand when people say a gun on the higher-end of the price spectrum is "too expensive", or "overpriced", etc.

If you can afford something nice or the more desirable stuff. Why not? Just as long as you understand that it won't make you a better shooter, or a better human being, or as long as you're not doing something stupid like blowing your life savings on it.

Besides, people buy things for more than just its functionality. No matter how much a lot of us don't want to admit it style counts and that high end mall ninja stuff is pretty cool!

So if you can swing a P226. Why not? Go for it! Spoil yourself! :)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  7. Badshot320

Badshot320 New Member

I know nothinbg of this weapon but to the last post: why pay 39.95 for an adjustable wrench when you can buy a set of real wrenches for 29.95? Alot of times TOOLs that cost more dont actually fit the NUT any better and its nice to know that

8. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

If all you want the wrench to do is loosen the nut then fine. But what if you really like wrenches and think they have more use then just to loosen the nut?

If a pistol is only a tool then get a Glock They work..That's all. But if you are one that sees more in a pistol than just a tool then you might want to look around at other alternatives.

A Sig can get expensive. But you can find a deal of you look around. CPO or LEO trade ins can be had around 500.00 give or take 50.00. With as Sig you get a really nice weapon. One that will olive up to the "To hell and back reliability" moniker. And it wont give you that woke up next to the ugly chick after a hard night of drinking feeling:p.

At the end of the day no mater what it is it's only worth what you are willing to pay for it. If a Sig is too expensive then it's not worth it....To you. My two Sigs (226 & 229) I got for right at 500.00 per. To me they where worth every penny. But being mainly a 1911 guy I'm willing to pay pretty well for a weapon that in my opinion is more than a tool. It's more a functional work of art. I like how they look as well as how they function. A Sig in my opinion also fits in this category pretty well.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive got a sig p220 and used to have a p226 in 9mm. sold the p226 cuz i just didnt shoot it. both are superb guns. they go bang when the trigger is pulled everytime. extremely accurate and shootable. i like em better than any of the striker pistols out there. they just feel good. not as good as a nice colt or springfield 1911, but better than most of the 1911's out there.

i too am of the opinion that the 40 is a solution in search of a problem. both the 9mm and 45 are better rounds. 9mm is more controllable the 45 more effective. however if you want one there is no better reason to get one :)

10. Tidalforce79

Tidalforce79 New Member

Well, one of my first purchases when I get money, is going to be a Nighthawk and a Les Baer, so, I don't mind paying alot for a good gun, I was just interested in getting a Sig and looks like they have gotten good reviews here : )

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

one last thing from me. the 22x series is very friendly to detail strip. not as easy as a 1911 but better than most other double action pistols. this makes used ones extremely easy to refurb worn parts. i wouldnt shy from a cheap used one.

12. misterballistic

Thank you Drumjunkie, you summed up exactly what I meant.

It's like a $20 quartz Timex and an Omega Seamaster automatic will both tell you the time (Timex will even be more accurate). Not sure about the rest of y'alls but I'd take the Omega if I had a choice. Some may opt for the Timex because it take a better beating or because they can't afford the Omega (neither can I). Doesn't make either choice the wrong choice.

Bottomline: if all there is to guns is an efficient appliance that you press the trigger and it goes bang then, yeah, we should all just buy Glocks and companies like Wilson Combat, and STI should just stop making guns.

Same goes with knives. You can buy a good Spyderco for $200 and it will do everything you'd ever need a knife to do, but some can and will pay more for the privilege and pride of owning a handmade Chris Reeve Sebenza. Both will cut real well...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  13. misterballistic

BTW, I'm not flaming less expensive guns since I happen to be a big fan of CZ and Ruger! :)

14. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Agreed, a good weapon does not need to cost a grand or more. It just has to fit and be reliable. I do think that when looking for the right weapon for you that it is not the right time to get stingy. Example if the Sig feels better than the others that might be less expensive you should get the Sig. You will shoot it better. Because it fit you better.

On the .40 thing I thought the 40 was an answer to the 10mm being too much for some people so they made a more manageable round. Sure the 40 is more snappy than a 9mm but it's not hard to control. Is it better than a 9mm? Not really.,,Not to me anyway. But I do prefer a 40 over a 9mm for defense. I like a 9mm more for a target round.But that's just me.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  15. Viking

Viking Active Member

Personally had there been a good supply of 45 ACP ammo on the shelves when I was looking for a CCW I'd have gotten Kimber, Para Ord, Springfield EMP or TRP or Colt Combat Commander. As it was there was almost always 40 S&W ammo on the shelf and I ended up getting an XDm40 and then a Stoeger Cougar 40. The XDm due to it's high cap magazines is my SHTF weapon and the Cougar has become my CCW. The Cougar is about half of what I paid for the XDm, it's got excellent quality, extremely accurate and is easy to shoot. The recoil on a rotary lock up barrel keeps barrel rise to a minimum which makes for great follow up shots. The 40 S&W round is no slouch, I really don't have anything bad to say about it but since 45 ACP ammo is back on the shelves in good supply if I were buying now I'd go for a 45 pistol out of the ones I've mentioned.