Commander XSE or 1911SC?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by ColColt, Nov 2, 2011.

1. ColColt

ColColt New Member

I posted this on another forum but thought I'd get a variety of opinions since I'm having a hard time deciding. I need some guidance and direction on a purchase. I'm looking at the S&W 1911SC(108483) and the Colt Commander XSE(SS). There's not a great deal of difference price wise from what I've seen so, that's no criteria. I've read where there's problems with the finish on the frame of the S&W getting scuffed/scratched easily and that some of the working parts are MIM although I don't recall which.

One of them when I choose will primarily be a CCW pistol with perhaps some use as a house gun as well. My question is, which would you choose in terms of reliability and longevity? The SS Colt would probably last longer and be able to shoot more but other than that it's a tough decision.

2. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I can't give you a comparison between them, but I have the Colt XSE Commander & love it. Colts have 4 mim parts in them, the Mag Catch, Mag Catch Lock, Sear & Disconnector. Of course, MIM is not the dirty word it used to be, but bad news doesn't die very well on the internet. The process has evolved over the years & mim parts can be very good parts, depending on the quality control of the manufacturer.

3. ColColt

ColColt New Member

MIM parts don't really bother me that much but I would like to see them not use it for the sear and disconnector. Perhaps those parts are better than in days gone by but as you said, old thoughts and beliefs die hard.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The Smith has an external extractor.

The Colt SS is a rock.

Get the Colt.

MIM parts are not a concern to me (retired GM design/development engineer) and even if they were, Colt has the fewest of all the 1911 offerings.

cane

5. ColColt

ColColt New Member

Cane-The external extractor has been proven(to me at least) to be a very reliable method. I have a 20 year old 4506 with the external extractor and a 6906-both 3rd Generation pistols and neither at any time have failed in any way. So, that doesn't bother me about the extractor. Apparently, at least S&W has gotten that perfected. I don't know about other brands.

Nevertheless, I am looking more at the XSE if I can find one without the duckbill. I saw an XSE Commander for sale on one of the gun auction sites but it must have been made some time in 2009 as it still had the duckbill and no speed bump on the grip safety.

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I never questioned the external extractor's efficacy.

For me it's a style factor. The external extractor takes away the 1911 slide's clean lines.

7. kvtcomdo

kvtcomdo New Member

MIM, colt vs S&W.

Glad to hear so many less concerned about the presence of MIM parts.

As far as one vs the other; both fine pistols. I must say the Sc frame intrigues me.

Felt to be stronger due to the alloy of Scandium with aluminum. Able to tolerate magnum power in revolvers (don't know many Aluminum alloys that can say that).

I probably would opt for the Smith. New E series is supposed to have dealt with any weakness of the previous design.

My $.02.:)

8. ColColt

ColColt New Member

I wouldn't cull either design as both have proven themselves. I've had less trouble with external extractors(S&W specifically) than with others such as Colt and SA...my experience only. If a pistol comes from the factory with less than close to perfect 3 1/2-4 1/2 pounds of tension and someone has feeding problems and doesn't know how to tweak an internal extractor, they will be frustrated as to what to do-particularly if it's their first 1911.

From a looks standpoint, what's not to like about either, really? I suppose it's a matter of what one likes. I've had Commanders in the past but neither had the lowered and flared ejection port nor did they have a decent throat job and yet they functioned fine. On the other side of the coin, my 457, 6906, 4566TSW and 4506 have been impeccable as for reliability.

9. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

I have shot both, MIM and all, both are reliable and function as expected and it just comes down to what you stated....and possibly price. ;) YMMV