Commander size carry

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by brewna01, Jul 29, 2012.

1. brewna01

brewna01 New Member

I've been looking at getting a commander size 1911 or a compact 1911 for EDC, what are some of your experiences with the shorter barreled 1911s?

2. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

My only experience with the short barrel 1911 is the 4 inch barrel it is a good weapon but I did have to change the spring set it to Wilson combat springs main spring, firing pin spring recoil Spring, 22 pound recoil spring also polished the feed ramp now it works. Every time with over 3000 rounds through it I have no issues at all now I don't know this is because I bought a Filipino maid brand metro arms or just my 1911 but I have seen high-end brands like kimbers had to have the same work done so I am not sure but in my experience my Weapon has worked great and I would trust my life to I carry in concealed everyday after the break in. Of course unfortunately like all 1911s it does have a 200 to 300 round Break in. I carry this concealed every day with this holster and it feels great

Attached Files:

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

with the ones i have, very good. my SA Micro Compact 45 has a 3" barrel and is very accurate at close range. at 10 yards, it will group easily into a 5-6 target. i haven't had time to fully test my American Classic Commander yet, but hopefully i will get to do some accuracy testing shortly.

4. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

I haven't heard of anyone having any issues with the full-size American classic 2 only the commander series what size is your 1911 AC?

5. Axxe55

well my first one was the Government model and my second one now is the Commander model. other than the spent case issue, which was resolved very easily with some minor extractor tuning it works perfectly.

6. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

Ah ok yes i remember discussing that with you

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I have a DW C-BOB (10mm), and and Ed Brown Kobra Carry (.45).

Same shoulder rig and IWB holsters work for both with no problems.

8. brewna01

brewna01 New Member

I'm looking to spend somewhere in the $850 mark. I saw a colt new agent for $950 at my lgs yesterday, it took a lot not to drop down a deposit on it. I thought the price was a little high and I'm sure he woulda come down some, but it was sure pretty...

9. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I have a Customized Colt Commander in the light weight for CCW. It is very accurate and not uncomfortable to carry. A little large in the hot summer when wearing only a t-shirt but excellent all other times.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  10. Axxe55

another good suggestion would be the Colt Defender. i almost came real close to buying one, but went with the SA Micro Compact 45 instead. the Defender is a very nice pistol and might be in your price range.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

Colt new agent ive got one and its a great iwb carry gun when concealment is a real must. My only knock is colt chose a blued finish for a gun that is going to get sweated on :rolleyes:

At some point im going to have mine redone in a much more salt resistant finish.

Mine is accurate, fast, reliable with everything stuffed in it. Ive mainly got fmj down the barrel with some hollowpoints of various types no ftf or fte issues. I mix in empty cases with live and use full wadcutters at times. It feeds everything. My new production series 70 eats empties also. None of my other 1911s or 45s will feed an empty case from the magazine.

Colt is the only 1911 i will ccw

12. Axxe55

JonM, that's one of the reasons i suggested the Defender, as it's offered in stainless steel. very nice pistol.

13. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Jon, what about those gutter sights. That's the only thing I dislike about that gun. Obviously you like it if you carry it.

14. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I daily carry a Kimber Pro Carry II in a Milt Sparks Summer Special holster. The pistol had some problems early on, but a Gunsmith buddy did a reliability tune on it and now it feeds, ejects and eats anything. I dislike the two stage spring guide rod setup, but it's really not a big deal after I stripped and cleaned it a few times. The finish is getting holster worn and I actually really like it's worn appearance.

Once upon a time I had a Dan Wesson CBOB and if I could ever afford one again, I would own and carry one in a heartbeat.

15. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

1911's of any size are great defensive pistols. I carried a full size colt for 6 years and a 4" Kimber for 7 years.

I now carry a Kahr PM 9 daily but only because my office attire makes it very difficult to effectively conceal anything larger.

The 1 concern with compact 1911's is recoil spring maintenance. There lighter and smaller slides provide less weight and inertia for cycling which must be compensated for with heavier springs. This is true of any compact pistol and must be watched. Order a dozen or so replacement recoil springs, keep a round count, and change springs per manufacturer recommendations and all should be fine.

Good luck

Tack

16. Olympus

Olympus New Member

The compact size I had would not feed JHP ammo so I sold it. I carry a 4.25" in the winter.

17. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I have carried a Defender for years but recently switched to the Commander Lightweight Model. My 4.25" Commander is a far more accurate gun.

Just like Jon said, Colt is all I will carry. Spend the up-charge and never look back.

18. brewna01

brewna01 New Member

My LGS has a lightweight commander in stock right now for $1100 I believe and a defender for $950. Took every ounce of will power I had to walk away (wife...) and not put any money down. But I have a fs GI model and it's a little large for CC for me. It's between the Colts, Springfield champion, or Sigs 4.25" 1911. Since it is a smaller gun, will the frame not being steel have any effect on quality over the years?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  19. JonM

JonM Moderator

if you look at the back of a 1911 and square it up it is surprisingly reminiscent of a tombstone... put that center of mass and pull the trigger tilll the goblin stops. the lack of a traditional sight doesnt really hurt accuracy up to 15 yards. i find it way faster than using a traditional sight. dont have to worry about em being knocked loose or hanging up on drawing it.

i find the gutter sight to be a good thing. if you have a chance to rent one do it i think you will be impressed. if you cant get past the sighting system the colt defender is the same gun but with a traditional 3 dot.

the trench itself isnt really new its been around several hundred years

my main carry is a xdm compact in 45acp. i carry the new agent when i need to go to places where it would really upset the sheeple or printing is an issue. we have open carry here in wisconsin but i prefer to keep my firearm hidden. no need to draw attention to myself.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  20. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You buy a lightweight gun for carry, you buy a steel gun to shoot.