commander or combat commander

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by smh1973, Oct 8, 2013.

1. smh1973

smh1973 New Member

Hey guys. What is the difference between the colt commander,and the colt combat commander? Also any thoughts on either of theses versus the r1 carry commander? Looking to purchase a commander and trying to research.
    Thanks Steven

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2013

2. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Lots of good info the wiki link there Dan.

Steven the current Colt production 4.25 barrel length pistols are being called commanders,the commanders produced now are steel frame and the LW Commanders are alloy frame pistols.
    The only production Colt's calling a combat commander is a stainless commander in their XSE line of pistols,take a look at Colts website,the combat commander weighs in at 33.5 oz. and the LW commander weighs 27 oz.,not sure what the current commanders weigh other than the two I listed.

I've heard a lot of positive reports on the Remington R1,i'm sure their commander style pistol will be just as nice.

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the differences that i can see between the two are minor, such as sights and trigger, IIRC. basically the same pistol in all essence from i can tell.

i too saw that Remington has upped the ante and is now offering a Commander sized 1911. if it's anywhere half as good as the R1 Enhanced that i have already, it's going to be a fine pistol for those looking for a Commander sized 1911.

4. therukh

therukh New Member

The Combat Commander has a steel frame, while the Commander has an aluminium frame. Commanders can have two different types of slides; one with lightening cuts and one without. We used to call the former a "light-weight, light-weight", because of the light-weight frame & the light-weight slide.

5. Axxe55

you might be incorrect. here are the current Commanders from Colt.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?item=O4691

steel frame, blued.

one Combat Commander, stainless steel.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=O4091U&mfg=Colt&mdlno=Combat+Commander

another Combat Commander, stainless steel frame.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=O4012XSE&mfg=Colt&mdlno=Combat+Commander

a Lightweight Commander with an allow frame and stainless slide.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?item=O4860XSE

6. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

Just plan to buy one of each! One for the range and one for carry. Then it won't matter!

7. therukh

therukh New Member

I'm sorry, I should have said Series 70. Thanks for the current info.

8. Axxe55

i'm not sure, but there is some confusion as to if they made Series 70 Commanders. some people say they did, some say they didn't. as of yet i haven't seen any proof one way or the other.

9. therukh

therukh New Member

Well, I've never come across a roll-stamped Series 70 Commander either, but the Combat Commanders & the Lightweight Commanders started being available in 1970, so I guess I misspoke since, around the shop, we called all the Commanders of the '70's; Series 70.

10. Axxe55

some of what i have heard is if they have the split collet style barrel busing they were a series 70. honestly i just get more confused the more i find out. some people say they made Commanders, but none were ever a series 70, they were just Commanders.

see, it's confusing!:eek:

11. therukh

therukh New Member

Bushings on Commanders

My nickel Combat Commander did not have the split collet bushing, nor did my Lightweight Commander, however, all the 5 inch Series 70's Government models did.

12. RUT

RUT New Member Supporter

>>My nickel Combat Commander did not have the split collet bushing<<

Nor does mine. (c. 1977)