Colt's Python and Anaconda

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by lrchops, Mar 4, 2012.

1. lrchops

lrchops New Member

Have always wanted both. I really am praying Colt will manufacture the Python once again. Anyone ever heard that this may actually happen??

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2012
  2. crazyman24

crazyman24 New Member

Haven't heard any news yet of new pythons but my father in law has a.andaconda and there well worth the money

3. NativH

NativH New Member

Don't hold your breath. I believe the high cost of manufacturing the Python was the reason that Colt pulled the plug in the first place. I seriously doubt that has changed for the better, much more likely, for the worse. I got a beautiful '78 model with minimal rounds shot a few years ago. Finest revolver I've owned and will never sell. Find a nice used one and go for it.

4. mcb

mcb New Member

I was out with my wife and father in law last week at the range. He had his mid seventies era python out to show my wife. My opinion the most beautiful revolver ever made.
    He also has an Anaconda I think my 629 Classic DX is a better shooter and every bit as pretty.
    The Python has always been pricey, in the mid 70s he paid $300 for it.

5. lrchops

lrchops New Member

I always have my eye open for a 6" Python or Anaconda. But the Python is by far the finest double action revolver ever made in the world!

6. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

I had a Colt Python some years ago, and was surprised that it wouldn't take my handloads using the 173 gr. cast bullet, the cylinder being a tad too short. But then, neither would the S&W .357 Magnum (later dubbed the Model 27). Both the Ruger Blackhawk and Smith Model 19 did.

But when Smith introduced the Model 586 and I got my hands on that, I left the Python behind. I still consider the Model 586 L-Framed gun the finest .357 DA Revolver to come on the market. It is far more rugged than the Python, and Smith's DA was always far away better than Colt's.

Bob Wright

7. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Saw an Anaconda 44 mag in a gun shop today, price tag = $1399.00.

Stainless with a 7 or 8 inch barrel.

Model 629 S&W 44 mag laying right next to the Anaconda.

Definitely a pair of hand cannons.

8. phildenton

phildenton New Member

ive always wanted an anaconda, heard that there were a couple problems with em, and at 900 i figured id pass, now thinking of a ruger super redhawk. still really like the anaconda though.

9. Finlander

Finlander New Member

I bought a Python back in the 70's for about $150.00. It was a beautiful handgun but I really didn't care for the action. Maybe I didn't give it time to break in. Sold it for $140.00 and bought a S&W Mdl.19. No regrets. But it would be nice to have that Python back now.

10. NativH

NativH New Member

Yeah if you still had that you could get something like $1300-$1500 for it in good shape. I lucked out and found this 4" at a local gun show for $950 about 18 months ago. Bless that seller.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  11. NativH

NativH New Member

Better picture. Gotta love Pythons and wish I had a couple more.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  12. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I have no problems posting a picture of my pythons but my wife would be really angry if I put up a picture of my anaconda! Lol j/k
    Nice toys guys

13. NativH

NativH New Member

I'm afraid I'd be overstating somewhat to call mine an anaconda.:(

14. PigPilot

PigPilot New Member

Haven't shot the Python in ages but I'd never consider parting with it. A friend of mine returned his to Colt and it came back with the original royal blue finish. I hope to be able to do the same. But them, once it's all beautious again, original grips, I COULDN'T bear to shoot it!

15. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Colt got out of the double action handguns after over 100 years. The facts are that that they did not sell. The Python was sold to Police Depts. back in the 1960s. They did not hold up. The Pythons were pretty but the actions were dated. They are now collectors items and S&W and Ruger products set the the standard for DA handguns.:)

16. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

I shot a 4" Python for 5 years and it was smoother than my SW 686. Accuracy was on par w my SW 6". I regret parting w it but my gunsmith said the close tolerances and heavy recoil require them to be rebuilt and the work wasn't easy. Everyone has regrets...But the SW is still running strong and w trigger job is just as smooth.

Not all Pythons were created equal. Some parts required hand fitting and skilled labor. People retire and it takes time to replace & train new people but Colt didn't lower their prices in the process. This was another reason they fell out of favor.

The adage, "Everything old is new again," certainly holds true for Pythons as they are now a status symbol like expensive jewelry & Rolex watches. In good condition, $1,500 to $2,500 is not out of line. The 3" barrel model sells at a premium.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  17. TGReaper

TGReaper New Member

My lovely wife scrimped and saved and bought me a new Python in 1967. I do not keep safe queens so it has been, and continues to be used on a regular basis.

[​IMG]

TGR

18. Finlander

Finlander New Member

ColtPython

Tell me about it! A friend of mine recently offered his NIB for &1000. I also owned a German made Walther PPK/S I sold for even less. If only I new then what a know now...

19. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

In 1993, I ordered a Python 6-inch barrel in Bright Stainless finish and paid $903 for it. I sold it several years later because I wanted something else.

I always missed that gun, so I bought this one a few months ago and paid over double what I paid back then:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  20. ironhat

ironhat New Member

Hey lonyaeger, have you aged that righteous piece via serial number yet? If so, and if you don't mind, what is it?