Colts: Defender vs New Agent

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by bgeddes, Oct 7, 2008.

1. bgeddes

bgeddes New Member

It seems other than finish these are the same piece? I am in the market for a smaller 1911 and I can not figure out what I am missing in comparison of these two weapons.

Before it starts, the small Kimbers are on the list too, just researching the best way to spend my dollars. Charles Daly makes a small .45 ACP unit, but data on their quality seems inconsistent. The mind is open to suggestions, as long as they are 1911s. :p

2. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

These are very close, however the Agent does Not have sights on it, I suppose to better facilitate the "quick draw" I remember seeing a Detonics model made in a similar fashion, not a big seller either. I do like the Defender, unless you're a crack shot, you are going to want to have sights on your gun!

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I have the Defender and love it.

[​IMG]

You won't go wrong!

cane

[​IMG]

4. squib

squib New Member

Call Colt for all info. on specs---1-800-962-2658 (customer service)
    Kimber web site is really descriptive as to specs--WWW.kimberamerica.com

Personal recommendation--Look very serious at Kimber ! May be a buck or two more but is truly "Quality"-- You won't miss that buck or two next year but if you purchase poor quality,it will haunt you !

The best deciding factor after you have ALL the facts is....which one do YOU like ? ;)

5. Bighead

Bighead New Member

The lack of sights is the main difference from what I can tell. The gun uses a "sight-channel" concept instead of raised sights. The idea is that it is easier to conceal. They are betting that the gun will be used for close-quarters, point-shooting type scenarios. My choice would be the Defender, or a compact Kimber with sights.

Colt New Agent
    [​IMG]

The sight channel idea was also used in the Kimber Ultra RCP a couple of years ago. I think it is kind of gimmicky, but can see how it might make it slightly easier to carry (maybe), and the channel would be better than no sights for close-quarters since you could use it as an index while looking over the top of the gun. I personally would rather have a good set of lo-mounts.

The Kimber Ultra RCP
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]