Colt vs Kimber

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by ShagNasty1001, Jan 12, 2012.

1. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

My friend is looking to get a 1911 on his up coming birthday and is looking towards a Kimber. I've been trying to get him to switch to Colt because I've heard Kimber has been having some problems lately and I'm personally a Colt fan. Which would y'all prefer and why

2. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Your friend is clearly misguided if he thinks a Kimber has much more to offer him than a colt.I mean that's almost like choosing a Smith and Wesson wheelgun over a python for the same price,both awesome guns... but I mean c'mon...

... its a colt... when someone says 1911 (unless your a well informed firearms nut and you think of john Browning) the word COLT comes to mind.

Your buddy must not have been well adjusted inthe firearms world...

3. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

If hes wanting to go that route but doesnt want a colt then get a sig or s&w 1911

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

I'm a huge fan of smith and wesson myself, but I liked the way the sigs felt in my hand better. There is an amazing asking of differences in how these guns feel considering they're all of the same design, our derived from the same design. Haven't shot one yet, but hopefully pretty soon I'll be giving a range report on a Colt.

5. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Well as most people on here know i swear by my gold cups but yeah sigs are great weapons.

6. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

At least I'm not alone in thinking that Colt is way better. I'll be sure to show him all these posts

7. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Cane should be along shortly.

I'm going to go get some popcorn because this thread should be entertaining.

8. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Yes it should....im tryin to find my kevlar and flak now that you said cane should show up.;) thanks for the warning

9. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I have a couple of Colts & a Kimber. No problems with any of them & I have 2 more Kimbers & a Colt on my wish list. Some would say the Kimber is over priced because of all the MIM parts & the Colt only has 4 MIM parts. If that is a concern to you, the Colt would be a better value. Colt seems to be known for holding it's resale value better, but I never buy a pistol with the intention of selling it.

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I don't own a Kimber and don't have any plans on buying one.

From a person who has done work for others 1911's, I prefer the Colt over the Kimber.

11. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

If Colt doesn't float his boat, tell him to look past Kimber to Dan Wesson. Brilliant guns, better warranty, and little to no MIM.
    Edit:
    Great customer support too. I went to them with a problem with a USED, out of warranty PM7. Keith offered a couple easy fixes to try before resorting to a smith or shipping it. I can't confirm, but I suspect any number of other companies would have told me to go pound sand or had me ship it for fixing at shop rates. Anyway, problem solved.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  12. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I'm a fan of the older Colts. The stuff they are making leaves me wanting more of the older quality of the Series 70 guns.

13. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Stupid question I know, but what exactly is MIM? I'm not complete in all the terms of a 1911

14. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Metal injection molding*(MIM) is a*metalworkingprocess where finely-powdered metal is mixed with a measured amount of binder material to comprise a 'feedstock' capable of being handled by*plasticprocessing equipment through a process known asinjection mold*forming. The molding process allows complex parts to be shaped in a single operation and in high volume. End products are commonly component items used in various industries and applications. The nature of MIM feedstock flow is defined by a physics called rheology.[1]*Current equipment capability requires processing to stay limited to products that can be molded using typical volumes of 100*grams or less per "shot" into the mold. Rheology does allow this "shot" to be distributed into multiple cavities, thus becoming cost-effective for small, intricate, high-volume products which would otherwise be quite expensive to produce by alternate or classic methods.

15. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I have two Kimbers...some early problems with one, none with the other. I think they are outstanding. Fortunately, I've never had to use the customer service because I have heard very little good about it.

When I was shopping for them, I looked at a few colts, but they were somewhat more $$$. I felt the Kimbers were quality for the price, and I still do. Others on here won't feel the same, and obviously this is only my opinion.

As far as Kimber over Colt? Well as I said, I have two Kims...Kimbers are used for my "avatar"...but OVER Colt? Yeah....I'm not quite that bold. :)

16. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I have several colts-not just 1911s either. I had a kimber compact pro carry II and i had issues w it from the get go. Instead of sending it in i just dug through my stuff and rebuilt it. Now my mom has it and says she likes it ok but prefers to use her taurus 1911 or my colt 1911 commander. She usually carries the commander just because its smaller and "prettier". Its just plain jane except for some cheap knock off compact zebra striped grips in black and white

17. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Colt is the classic choice for sure. But, Kimber is respectable too.

My experience with match grade kimbers is that they are very tight out of the box, but loosen up with 300 or so rounds. Kimber offers a lot of standard upgrades in package deals, saving costly after purchase work or custom shop work.