colt vs bcm

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by JonM, Jun 21, 2012.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

Got to inspect in person yesterday (didnt post about it till now as i was pretty tired yesterday) two colts at my lgs. He had just got em in. A 6920 and a 6940. After seeing and handling one in person im glad i went bcm as colt was on my hit list. Something just felt off about them. Maybe it was the monolithic rail on one or the wierd feel the grip had but i didnt like either of the uppers.

Neither had that tough solid feel my bcm with magpul furniture has. The colt butt stocks felt cheap. Both had the same stock not sure who made them but they werent from colt but from an outside vendor.

The one with the monorail had a matech rear and flip front the other a fsb and magpul mbus rear.

Im going back over there tomorrow afternoon he wanted to see my bcm side by side with the colts. If they arent sold by then...

I think if colt is going to use cheap third party accessories i would rather buy it naked and put my own on. The only thing i liked about the furniture of either was the matech on the monorail version.

2. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Hey Jon. Been a while bud. I love my BCM. My next build is going to, again, be BCM. As far as I'm concerned, for the price and quality, you can't beat it.

3. Mdrums

Mdrums New Member

How does Bravo Co look next to Daniel D?

4. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Never used DD. My opinion is solely based on my experience with BCM, but I really can't justify spending more than a BCM costs when it is top tier as far as I am concerned.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

Thats my opinion too. I havent seen a dd rifle in person or got to handle one.

The colts arent junk by any stretch i just think they have chosen their furniture supplier poorly

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I have BCM and DD (uppers) and honestly there's very little difference - both are top notch. I'd say go with the one that's configured the way you want or is priced better.

Good to see you back, Ben!

7. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Thanks. Hopefully people around here will either quit freaking dying or I'll run out of family members soon enough.

8. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

9. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

But but but the prancing pwny roll mark is the bestest!

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

If their lower had a low shelf for the safety i would be happier with it. I like that extra room in there incase big bits of rock or debris get in it less liekly to interefere with the gun function

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

Glad to see you back!!

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I gotta agree. Really wanted a Colt but they don't offer midlengths so I went with ArmaLite, BCM and DD middies. Well I did get the Colt/Walther M4-22 lr so do have the pony. :D And a Colt 1911!

13. homelessguy01

homelessguy01 New Member

whats with the keyhole mark on the upper? what does it mean?

14. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

The company Cerro Forge stamps all their receivers with that mark iirc.

15. homelessguy01

homelessguy01 New Member

nifty i got one on my lower,

16. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Did you get a key with it? I can't seem to find mine......

17. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Hey I didn't get one either!

But there are plenty of ARs made by Keystone Cops... :p

18. homelessguy01

homelessguy01 New Member

haha nope what good is a lock without a key!?

19. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I think it depends on what you are going to use the gun for.

If you want a "run and gun" SHTF, pure fighting rifle, I can't imagine that you could beat the Colt, no matter how much you were willing to spend

20. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Actually it's what good is a keyhole without a key! :p