Colt service pistol

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by dustinoif3, Jul 5, 2012.

1. dustinoif3

dustinoif3 New Member

Does anyone know how to track down the history of an issued pistol? Looking for maybe how long it was in service and how many wars did it make it to. It's serial number is in the 300,000 area so 1918 range. Any help would be appreciated! Google isn't turning up much.

2. dustinoif3

dustinoif3 New Member

I hadn't tried that particular website but found cut outs from it on the web. Shows serial number by year and if it was issued to the army, marines or navy. I was looking for how many years this particular side arm kicked ass and where.

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Getting that degree of information is beyond my knowledge. Look forward to learning on this one.

4. dustinoif3

dustinoif3 New Member

Yeah me 2! Thx for your help! Time for school

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

To establish providence, you will need to get it first hand.

The type of info you are looking for isn't recorded for public consumption and not in any usable detail.

6. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Yeah the
    is kinda hard to pinpoint ;)

7. dustinoif3

dustinoif3 New Member

Yeah. Just thought the military maybe had released some info on them.

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

The Military ain't big on sharing info :(

9. dustinoif3

dustinoif3 New Member

That stinks. I may try calling colt and prod them. I'm sure they will have no clue but might point me in another direction.

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Couldn't hurt - From what i've heard with a serial number they can tell you certian things.

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well you've got a better chance than I do with my 1913 P08 Luger. Can't exactly call DWM anymore!

12. dustinoif3

dustinoif3 New Member

Update. Called colt and they transferred me to a historical dept that they have. Left a message but hopefully they can provide some info! I'll keep you guys posted!

13. dustinoif3

dustinoif3 New Member

Spoke with colt. They wanted 100 bucks to tell me when and what base it shipped to back in 1918. Said also it would take 120 days to get back with it. I held off but I wonder if I did know what post it was shipped to maybe I could get with the museum or somebody in the historical part there. I don't know. Sounds like a good winter project.

14. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

Might could start with a WWI historical society. Or maybe a Veterans group, some of the older guys really dig that stuff and won't charge you a 100 bucks for info. Just a thought though.

15. dustinoif3

dustinoif3 New Member

That's a pretty dang good idea! Thx!!

16. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I think that hundred includes a letter verifying this & that?
    Very desireable with Colt collectors --
    I know a few fellow SASS members that have had their Colt SAA "documented"
    The letter with certian guns are worth more than a hundred bucks.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  17. dustinoif3

dustinoif3 New Member

It did include a letter your right just didn't really answer what I was looking for but like you said it would be a nice piece to put with the pistol. I still may do it sometime soon.

18. trip286

trip286 New Member

My Dad has my Grandfather's Colt, serialed 586, property of US Navy.
    I've given up a long time ago on finding out exactly where it served. The only thing I know is that Papaw bought it as surplus I think in the fifties. Something like $50 I believe.

I don't even know for sure if the Military keeps records that close. I know that a firearm (when I was in, 2002-2006) could be tracked by the serial, but only to the unit that was supposed to be in possession of it, and all the records even then were on paper, so it could take months to years, unless you already know where to look. Example: One of our village idiots left his rifle in the PX in KAF. The soldier that found it turned it in to his command, who was able to ask around and find out what unit had a dumbass who was missing their rifle. It took two days to track down the records.

I very highly doubt you'll find every post it was issued at, who it was issued to, or even for sure whether or not it was sent over seas or just used as a training pistol. However, if it was on a marksmanship team in the service, I'll bet you could come across that information.

I asked my armorer, a friend of mine, about the history of my SAW, and if it was possible to track down the former SAW gunner who carried it. The only thing he could tell me was that it was given to our division, from the Army, in 2001. The unit I was in didn't keep the records as to who was issued it before me, if it had gone anywhere, or even if it had stayed within our company during the time it was in my Battalion, or even if it was in our battalion the entire time it was in our division.

Maybe if I'd gone higher up the chain of command? I don't know, but oh well. One thing I know for sure, those records simply aren't kept at Company level. And I doubt the records are very detailed at Division level.

Sorry. I hope your able to at least find something. I just don't have much faith that you'll be able to find very much.

19. dustinoif3

dustinoif3 New Member

I understand what your saying. I've been in the army for 12 years and 2 deployments and when you mentioned the dumb ass leaving his rifle in the px I laughed my ass off. Seen that a few times. Just left in the porta johns. Lol. I know paper trails suck in the military but wasn't sure since these things are getting hard to find there might be a data base composed of stuff people have found or like the gentleman mentioned earlier in the thread there might be a ww1 group or some old vets that may have started something for that. I figured what I was looking for was a shot in the dark but hey ya never know. That's the beauty of this forum. Everybody can post experiences to help others gain knowledge!