Colt series 70 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by TacticalGuy15, Aug 14, 2011.

1. TacticalGuy15

TacticalGuy15 New Member

Well i went and picked up a new colt mk IV series 70 today. I must say this gun just feels amazing! It fits perfect in your hand, the trigger feels excellent, both safetys feel and operate like none other! I havent had a chance to fire it yet but if it shoots like it feels its going to be a superb firearm! So far i cant be happier!!! Anybody have a series 70? Is it really as good as it feels?

Attached Files:

2. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Congratulations.

It's a lousy pistol. You should send it to me just to be on the safe side. ;)

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

i love mine.

[​IMG]

best 1911 on the market at any price in my opinion. you did well

they shoot fantastic.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

It's a Colt! What did-ya expect? [​IMG]

6. TacticalGuy15

TacticalGuy15 New Member

Thanks everyone. I didnt have any doubts it would be a great pistol at all. I know colt is highly talked about but i am new to the colt would so i like to hear it from former colt owners. Ive had other brand 1911's over the years and they were nice and all but no comparison to the colt!!

7. alxltd1

alxltd1 New Member

I have several Series 70 Colt 1911's in 45 as well as 9mm and one converted to 38 Super. Along with two Series 70 Gold Cups and a Delta Elite in 10mm, they are my favorite 1911's. I like my Springfields, but for smoothness of actions and triggers they just are unique. Yes I know that custom builders can make most any 1911 a great performer, but out of the box the 70 just feels right. And I had one Series 80 with firing pin block which I promptly traded off. Sorry, but even though a Colt it was just not the same. Just my opinion though and worth all of 1 cent of the 2 cents it will be valued at.:D

8. TacticalGuy15

TacticalGuy15 New Member

Man i would love to have your collection!!!!

9. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Looks like a fine Series 70 reissue. Colt liked it so much they brought it back from the past, so that says a lot in itself. Definitely a nice gun.

10. TacticalGuy15

TacticalGuy15 New Member

Thanks olympus! The only thing that kinda bugs me is the sights. They are all black and kinda hard to focus on. Expecially i low light. Can these be changed? Which ones do i need if i can?

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

yes & yes :d

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

a 1911 doesnt need sights.

just hold the gun as such:

[​IMG]

making it look like a tombstone put the top under the target and shoot.

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Jon, your firing pin stop is a tad narrow allowing your extractor to rotate. ;)

14. TacticalGuy15

TacticalGuy15 New Member

I didnt know you could shoot it that way. Ive never heard of that. Ill have to give it a try. Is there aftermarket 3 dot or anything that are direct replacements for the series 70 though?

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

thats not my gun. just got the pic off google somewhere. but its how i practice with my 1911s

meprolight used to make some had em on my old para ordnance P10 waaaaay back. it used series 70 type sights. requires a smith to mount the front sight. its one of those few guns i wish i didnt have to sell.

i used to be a sight hound had to have dot over dot or 3dot. but i been shooting that way for a while now practicing SD that i fin sights to be irrelevant for SD use. i use em for pin point shooting slow fire. they just get in the way for the most part nowadays.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  16. alxltd1

alxltd1 New Member

Thanks. As I have said it took 40 years to achieve but like my father used to say to me "You can get what you want, or you can just get old".:D

17. Olympus

Olympus New Member

There are all kinds of options for aftermarket sights. I've never owned a government model like yours, so I can't say for certain what kind of dovetail the slide will have.

Probably your best bet would be to take the gun to a competent gunsmith and have him install some new sights. Depending on what you plan on using the gun for, there are combat sights, night sights, fiber optic sights, and target sights. Check Brownell's or Midway for some options.

18. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Or you could just take up point shooting. ;)

It worked for Bryce and Jordan.

[​IMG]

Two of my point shooter heroes, Jelly Bryce and Bill Jordan! ("We don't need no stinkin' sights!)

In today's PC climate, Jelly would be on 'Administration Leave' while being investigated for shooting too many BG's.

19. canebrake

canebrake New Member

20. TacticalGuy15

TacticalGuy15 New Member

Its just going to be a target gun so i was just wanting like a simple 3 dot sight. Something i can see a little better......... Ive never tried the point shooting. Maybe i can just give that a try.