Colt SAA 357

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by ALS11, Oct 20, 2011.

1. ALS11

ALS11 New Member

Would you pay more for a Colt SAA 357 4 3/4 in. brl., unfired, than you think it is worth, if you could, because you always wanted one? And there it was?? (Not too much more though.) :eek:

2. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

There are always things that we want enough to pay more than they are worth. I was at an auction at a RV dealer. Everything there sold for more than the sticker on the window.

If it is something you really want for yourself and are not planning to resell it, I say go for it. I don't mean double the value. But if you want it, you want it.

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Depends, are you going to shoot it?

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

depends on what it's worth and how much they are asking for it over the value of it. some people overprice something because they think it worth more than it truly is, or they really don't want to sell it and if they do they want more for it. sometimes i overprice because of replacement cost, meaning i don't have to sell, but if someone wants it, they will have to pay my price.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Buy it, it's a Colt!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I want this one!

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Cane, once you buy that can I shoot it?

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i had a chance back in the late 80's to buy a commemorative set of John Wayne's licensed pistol and rifle that was like the ones he used in a lot of his movies. i really regret not buying them. if i remember the set was about $1200. i wonder what they would be worth today?

8. yogiboobooranger

yogiboobooranger New Member

Over Priced Colt

Yes if you want it bad enough, buy it! Most if not all Colts hold their value and over time actually become more valuable. Worth is only in the eyes of the beholder anyway..me, I don't want any guns that I cannot shoot, so if I bought the Colt, it would be used as intended, valued as the tool for what is was made for.

9. chucksolo69

chucksolo69 New Member

Just buy it. I have one I bought in 1977 and love to shoot it, although I only shoot .38 Special rounds in it. It is fun to shoot and once you master the sights, which are crude, the gun is very accurate. I paid $399.00 for it in 1977. I shudder to think what the gun would go for new. Mine is still pristine with 100% of the bluing and it is still gorgeous to look at.

10. johnbrowning

johnbrowning New Member

Chuck I bought one the next year Colt SAA .357, I went to the range with a friend that had a Ruger Blackhawk and I wanted the real thing not a knockoff. I enjoy it now as much as ever although I'm feeding it .38s & .38+p. I have a question on the trigger break it not real crisp. I didn't notice it before. Last week I acquired a Python and in single action that's as crisp as they come. When you squeeze off a shot is there just the tiniest bit of play in the trigger. JB

11. chucksolo69

chucksolo69 New Member

I don't think you are ever going to get a Colt SAA with a trigger as refined as that of the Python. The Pythons I have shot, out of the box, have probably one of the finest, butter smooth trigger action ever found on a revolver. The mainspring on a Colt SAA is flat as opposed to the mainspring on a Ruger Blackhawk. Comparing a SAA trigger break to one of the Python is like comparing a Chevy Camaro to Cadillac CTS. The in its original form just isn't supposed to be really refined. I basically keep mine just for the fun of shooting and owning a unique piece of history and to enjoy the looks and comments of Ruger Vaquero, and the Italian clone shooters at the range. I have had quite a few come up to me and say: "Wow, is that a real Colt; mind if I hold it?" I had a Marine Captain come up to me at the range and practically beg me to shoot it. He was shooting two Vaqueros and when he shot mine, he was amazed......his comment was: "Man, now I know why General Patton wore one on his hip; simply amazing." This SAA, my Browning Hi-Power and my Springfield 1911 are the three guns I would nerver part wity.

12. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

If I want somethig & have the money to spare YEA I buy it :rolleyes:

13. ALS11

ALS11 New Member

Seeing that this post came up again I'll tell you what I did. It's mine. The thing is pretty nice. It appeared to be unfired. Not anymore. I was tempted not to shoot it but I was to weak to resist. It shoots much better than I thought it would. I am using 38s in it. There is no regret in my purchase.

14. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Congrats. I hope to own a Colt SA someday. I would sure like to see some pictures of it.

15. chucksolo69

chucksolo69 New Member

Nor should there be regret. I am also amazed at how accurate my SAA is with the .38 Specials. This is the one gun I IMMEDIATELY clean when I get it home from the range though. Keep her pretty.

16. johnbrowning

johnbrowning New Member

here you go boatman one broken down and getting clean, and the other clean and ready to go. Thanks for the interest JMB

Attached Files:

17. jyo

jyo New Member

I don't have an SAA in 357, but I do have two in 44 Special (4 3/4 and 5 1/2")---both are blue and CH---both are great to shoot and a pleasure to own.