Colt QC

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by NGIB, Feb 9, 2011.

1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I know Cane will probably ban me for sacrilege; however, I found these interesting pix on another forum. This is a brand new Colt 1991 Commander - something look a little screwy to you? (Note, this was not posted by a noob with an axe to grind but a regular respected member). What I found really surprising (and the reason I posted this) was the response they got back from Colt:

How generous that they'll reimburse up to $30 in shipping charges when it'll probably cost the fella a minimum of $50 to ship it...

Attached Files:

• CL1.jpg
      CL1.jpg
      File size:
      30.7 KB
      Views:
    • CL2.jpg
      CL2.jpg
      File size:
      25.6 KB
      Views:
  2. oldcoptn46

oldcoptn46 Member Supporter

Dat don't look too good!!:eek:

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I'd like to see the breech end.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

if it fits it ships box 5$... a "slider" is not a firearm so no special rules.

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Colt wanted the whole gun back in the original packaging...

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

ahh i see. my ffl charged me 20$ to send a cz97bd to my dad in texas. i know you can send right to colt for warranty stuff but sometimes a ffl can get better shipping rates if they do a lot of bulk shipping. i would think 30$ would cover it. i contacted colt about sending my python to them for service they said i had to 2day or overnight if i sent it but they didnt care how it got there if i went through a ffl.

im surprised the guy accepted the gun in that state its more than a bit obvious.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  7. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I'm not really. You're excited that the new toy came and really don't look hard until later - especially with a brand new gun. I'm really surprised Colt shipped this one though...

8. jca1

jca1 New Member

The last time I needed to send a Colt in for repair they sent me a call tag. It took 3 months to get the piece back from them but they did a good job on it.

I'm a Colt fan, so images like above just make me sad.

9. doose

doose New Member

Sometimes this happens, Colt is still a great product though and I would not hesitate to buy another Colt. I am sure they will make good on this.

10. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I would talk to someone on the phone, get an email address for someone, email those pictures, and request a call tag be issued rather than waiting to be reimbursed. I think if someone from Colt saw those pictures, they'd issue the tag.

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Shame on Colt!

But more than shame, the owner should be berated for the uber stupidity of buying that piece of crap!

12. snakyjake

snakyjake New Member

Is there a QC checklist with photos? I'd like to learn what to look for.

13. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

He must have bought that sight unseen.

14. parinoid54

parinoid54 New Member

When I order a new firearm thru my FFL, it's only a deposit up front, and any problems are with me and the factory (with my FFL helping me) when it/they arrive. Typically, I do not buy out of a showcase as I have found that most dealers who do not keep an inventory on hand sell at a lower price. What arrives from UPS is a surprise to both of us. Don't blame the buyer without knowing all the details, Cane.

So, knowing you to be a religous Colt ZOMBIE, what about the answer Colt gave him about returning it?:rolleyes: In the last 30 years, I have asked S&W to accept the return of one of their guns twice; each time easily accepted at their expense, and without question! Sadly, I am smelling a big difference in customer service (even though I highly respect the Colt heritage).

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  15. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

LEARNING MOMENT: Is it that the part on the left is not up flush against the part on the right? Please name the parts for me and tell me if it is because it is not set evenly. Is it the muzzle and the barrel? I'm trying here, guys, really, I am. :eek:

16. NGIB

NGIB New Member

The part on the left is the barrel busing and it should be flush with the nose of the slide. This gun will still operate but cosmetically it's terrible. I've been following this story and it seems this was also posted on m1911.org. A Colt employee saw this, contacted the owner, and had a shipping tag sent out. All manufacturers send out a bad one from time to time - pays to examine thoroughly before accepting...

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  17. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Thank you very much, NGIB.

18. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

I like the Colts they are great. That being said. I am never happy with factory guns as they come from the box. If it were mine that bushing problem is a small item. I have my 1911s tuned at a .45 shop in Salt Lake City, Ut. All new handguns need a tune up. They have always been that way to serious shooters. Sending them back to Colt always gets the same results. A factory gun.

DK

19. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Winds, that part sticking out is called a barrel bushing. As has been said, it should be flush to the front of the slide.

Here's an outstanding video of the components of a 1911 and how they fit together:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P4XJTKzKEU[/ame]

20. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Thought I'd close the loop on this one. It looks like Colt is doing the right thing - but forums do make a difference. Here's the owners quote: