Colt Python

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by A. ZX, Apr 21, 2013.

1. A. ZX

A. ZX New Member

Is carrying a Colt Python .357 really a good choice for self defense?
    Looking for opinions based on experience

2. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

it was the best Revolver of its time.
    And is extremely accurate.

But the question you ask applies not specifically to the Pyhton but to any other large revolver.

A Smith 686, Ruger GP100 , etc are just are carryable, (or not).

Open carry?
    The Python is just as good as a Smith 686 or Gp100.
    Concealed carry just as hard as those too.

3. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

The python is best suited as a safe queen anymore, MAYBE the occasional range gun.

I'd go with the 686 for around the house, or a Ruger SP101 for carry

4. A. ZX

A. ZX New Member

Thanks a lot for the feedback

5. triggerjob

triggerjob New Member

Python is a tad heavy for concealed carry, probly of for a duty gun.

Having said that, I carry a SW 4" mod 29 when I do carry, but I don't carry that often.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

the python is the best revolver out there but no longer in production. it was aimed at police use and most of them were used as such. so its a perfectly viable and timeless handgun that will get the job done.

that being said. i wouldnt carry one because they are so expensive. if you ever need to use it there is a very good chance its going to disapear as "evidence". milwaukee police have a habit of hitting guns they take as evidece with hammers or spray painting them or leaving the in a damp humid environment. they do it to punish the civilian who dared to defend him/herself.

personally i dont care as much if i lose a common xdm/lcp/m9a1 vs losing my prized python.

7. A. ZX

A. ZX New Member

I totally agree, but it the gun that is available to me now.
    Thanks for the feedback

8. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

The Colt Python served as a service weapon many LEOs for many years. The one I own was my father's duty weapon for a number of years.
    A properly maintained Python will serve you well. However, it's a lot like having a pristine Vincent motorcycle as a daily driver. Sure, it'll work ok, but it's not without it's downside.
    Colt Python parts are getting rare. I called Colt a couple years ago looking for a mainspring. They directed me to an outside source (Jack First Gun Parts). Mine is now relegated to Sunday driver status.
    The other issue is finding qualified gunsmiths who know how to work on them. High mileage Pythons will need more attention than other newer and more durable designs. The lockwork, while not terribly complex, requires a great deal of hand fitting. People with the knowledge & skill are also getting rare.

So yeah, it will do the job well, but an eye toward the future might be a good idea.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  9. Donn

Donn Active Member

There are those, (like me), who would argue the S&W Model 19 might be in contention for the title. That aside, like others have mentioned, the Python's too rare and valuable for daily use. That, and it's really not suited for concealed carry, (size and weight). Keep it, shoot it when you can, but find something else for EDC.

10. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

There it is. If I ran Colt Firearms I'd bring it back into limited production.

11. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

If you plan to conceal carry your Python, I'd suggest spending some money on a good quality leather shoulder holster, like Bianchi, or consider a custom-made leather rig. The shoulder holster gives you better weight distribution. Leather is strong and supple and will conform somewhat to body contours as it wears in. The Python is a pretty big hogleg to try to hang off a hip.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  12. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Before choosing your Python as your EDC gun, check gunbroker.com for it's value. My cousin has one and he was amazed at is't value.

13. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If there is one available to you. If it is not a safe queen that is in collector condition. If you can carry it and conceal it comfortably. Then it is a fine handgun for defensive use. Bottom line is that defense is still what it was originally designed for and the Python was a good design, and .357 is a fantastic caliber.

14. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Sometimes I cc a 4 inch 629 in a leather owb holster. I can carry it all day long with no problem at all. I believe any large caliber wheel gun that you are competent with and is reliable is a viable defense tool. Many people are walking around with a 5 shot 38 special. A 6 shot 357 is a big step up from there.

As far as value goes...how much is your life worth? If I had to save my life of the lives of my family, I would consider the loss of an expensive gun a small price to pay. I dont really expect to ever shoot anyone anyway. Why not get a little enjoyment out of your gun?

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

my point was there are perfectly good supremely reliable handguns that arent rare or pricey because of desirability at a fraction of the cost.

its not like if someone breaks into my home and i happen to have my python at hand i wont use it. there are just better options financially if you have the time to plan ahead for need.

plus its damn heavy and pretty hard to conceal. a lot of states have laws on printing the outline of a ccw gun as well.

16. Olympus

Olympus New Member

If that gun was your only firearm then by all means use it and carry it. But personally if I had other choices, I'd go with something else.

17. Donn

Donn Active Member

So would I. Don't hold your breath. Even though Colt lost their Government contract, they'll be making AR/M4's for the foreseeable future.

18. johnbrowning

johnbrowning New Member

I wouldn't

In a lot of states after a shooting, they take away your weapon.You may get it back, you may not. I know after using it on a bad guy you probably could care less, but your kids will. I would carry something smaller and less expensive.

19. natman

natman Member

A Colt Python is a very fine revolver, but as a self defense tool there's no advantage over an S&W 19 or 586/686 at half the price.

Yes, they are very well made and fabulously finished, but their current value reflects a lot of collector value that makes no difference whatsoever as far as self defense is concerned.

20. onenut58

onenut58 New Member

The python was never in competion with a smith and Wesson model 19 or 686. They competed with the model 27 smith and Wesson.
    I remember when they were every where and sold for around the same price as a model 27.
    I regret not buying at least one.
    I never owned one but shot other peoples a few times and find nothing about them superior in fit finish or mechansims to a model 27 so I chose smith and wessons to own saying I would maybe pick up one some time.
    Hind sight is 20-20 and I wish I had bought as many as I could.
    I truly do not understand why colt don't retool and make double action revolvers again the market is obviously there.
    With people willing to pay the crazy prices for the orginals I am sure they could price new ones high as long as they were made as well as the last versions and with the myth of there superiority to a Smith and Wesson many would pay out the nose for one.