Colt Python

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Mouser, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Mouser

Mouser Active Member

I have taken an interest recently in possibly aquiring a Colt Python....in researching, it is obvious that some guns have visible cylinder scoring from use.

In terms of use/rounds fired....how many turns before the ring shows up faintly vs. very visably? Is Nickel plating a way to refinish an existing handgun to help minimize the wear marks?

2. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

I don't believe you can avoid the wear ring on the cylinder. Even a
    nickle plated gun will show the drag ring. The only way to minimize
    the ring is to never cock or fire the weapon. Refinishing a Colt Python
    will destroy its value.

Colt Python 8"
    [​IMG]

3. Intheshop

Intheshop New Member

Look at the ring as sort of a "badge of honor".....vs gun being a safe queen.Pythons are an absolute joy to shoot.We have right many Smith's and they are mighty fine....and is what I normally shoot.But Colt's in general have a finer feel to them.One of our Diamondbacks(.38 sp)came from the factory with a lighter single AND dbl action than my #14 Smith which has an action job.My Python is about the same.

4. Mouser

Mouser Active Member

ok...well I have locate one...doesn't show the ring so I take it that it has not seen much use...the seller wants 1550 for it and based on my research, that sounds like a competitive if not good price. 4" Barrel just like I like with the box. Any opinions ?

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

In excellant condition thats a fair price-

6. Olympus

Olympus New Member

With the box, I would say that's about an average price. With Pythons, you usually don't find many "deals".

7. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I presume that you are talking about a Royal Blue version?
    The drag mark is simply the cost of doing business. If you want to avoid it, buy an unfired safe queen and put it away forever. Otherwise shot & enjoy. Last time I looked, Colt will reblue them for somewhere in the neighborhood of $300. Mine will be going in for it's 50th birthday in a couple years. It has thousands of rounds through it. I figure at 50, it's earned a makeover.
    Nickel plating is not a fix for it. I'm certain that Colt no longer does nickel plating (probably haven't for 20 years). Applying an aftermarket nickel plating to what was originally a blued gun will not help it's resale value.
    Drag mark visibility/wear? I don't know if anyone's ever tried to quantify it. It's very likely it would vary from gun to gun anyway. They are hand fitted and no two will be fitted identically.
    If it bothers you that much, find a stainless one and buff off the mark occasionally.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  8. fireguy

fireguy New Member

There is a LNIB Python for $1200 here in KS on armslist. I would jump on it if it was blue. It is a stainless. Part of the appeal of the Python to me is the rich color of the blue on it. I already have a couple of stainless guns, don't need an icon just like them.

9. Don Davis

Don Davis New Member

I wish it weren't so, but

If you shoot a Python ... it'll have drag marks on it.

All brands of revolvers that I used have had them.

I love Pythons ... I don't currently own one ....

But I wish I did :D

Price sounds about right to me.

:cool:

10. Olympus

Olympus New Member

To get away from the turn lines on the cylinder, the best option is to get a stainless or Bright Stainless version. Then they can simply be polished back out again and you're good as new.

11. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

If I ever own a Colt Python, I really hope that it has that wear already... I'd sure hate to be the one to do it, right after I get it home, cause it's gonna get shot.

12. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

I had a 6" blue Python several years ago but traded it off for a Single Action Army that had some sentimental value to me.

I was a little disappointed with the Python when I found it would not chamber some of my handloads. Its short cylinder left the bullet noses protruding out the front of the cylinder.

I didn't lament the passing of the Python very long as I got a Smith Model 586 Distinguished Combat Magnum. This to me is the ultimate DA .357 Magnum revolver.

Bob Wright

13. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

This is a 586-1 that I managed to find. It is new in the box, unfired:

[​IMG]

14. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

My partner many years ago had a nickel 4" Python when I had my nickel 4" Speed Six. We both had our revolvers redone action wise and some "enhancements" by the gunsmith for the local gun collector's guild. I always wanted a Python after I saw his and had a chance to shoot it, but didn't get one. I'll always regret that. Now, if you can even come across one, they do go for in the $1200-$2000 range commonly and rarely stay available long. Many seem to prefer the 6" models and the blued ones do have a certain mystique about them over the other finishes. Personally, I'm hoping to be in the position in the forseeable future to be able to afford one in 4" regardless of the finish, though I'd prefer blue also. It would be a really nice companion to my blued Model 19 4".

15. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I believe the 6" models are the most common and were produced the most. I have a 6" and a 4" and I much prefer the balance and feel of the 4".

16. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Agree on both counts :)
    Had a friend way back in the 80's that had a pair in polished stainless with 6" barrels - If memory serves he gave like $700 each- it was a lot to pay back then for a revolver :eek:

17. roughneck266

roughneck266 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Dontcha wish you could get one for 700 now? We paid 1800 for the one I gave my wife earlier this year. It was a sentimental thing for her, she used to carry one just like it when she was a cop, otherwise I wouldnt have paid that much.

18. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I actually bought a 6" Python several years ago for $600. The finish had a lot of wear and someone had actually used a hand engraver and wrote their SSN serial number in the metal on several places on the gun. Perfectly good shooter, but it was ruined cosmetically.

19. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Oh hell yeah!