Colt python

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by woody63m, Dec 14, 2011.

1. woody63m

woody63m New Member

Really want a colt python does anybody have any info on them

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Info on what exactly?

Many people "hear" that the lock work is a bit fragile, but many owners I've talked to say that's BS.

As far as where to buy one near you, I don't know anything about that. Prices seem to range regularly (not counting the cheapest I've seen, or the most expensive) $750-$1200, depending on options and finish.

By the way, I've seen one go for $550 (cheapest) and one go for $3500. These are obviously the extremes.

3. lastcast

lastcast New Member

Python .357

Greetings:
    Before I retired from the force, I carried a Colt Python .357, 4" in the Chicago Ghettos for 40 years.
    When I got on the job I payed $152.00 for it. I very seldom pulled it since I also carried a .45 Colt Commander on my hip and a .38 snub on my ankle. Those I did fire at douchbags.

My Python is is as clean as the day I bought it and I still have the original box in mint condition, also have the target from factory showing it was zeroed in and what date. Have original receipt also. Bluing perfect and grips also perfect.

Lot's of great memories carrying that fine gun, an awful lot!!! Don't think I could buy it now for $152.00, LOL ;);)

Regards: Lastcast,,,Ranger Recon,,,Class of 67.

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Be happy to give you 100% of your investment back :rolleyes: :D

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

Well im not a revolver fan but ive got a python and i love it. Highly recomend them. Ive never had an problems with it its super accurate and the action is like nothing you have ever tried. They get compaired to sw guns a lot but thats like trying to say a ford mustang is in the same class as a rolls royce.

6. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

The Python I inherited has many thousands of rounds through it. It is a was built in 1965 and was a duty carry and PPC for a number of years. In the 80s it became a silhouette gun. I'm not entirely sure, but I think it needed the timing adjusted once long before I came into possession. I replaced a hammer spring last year. Not a terribly large body of work.

7. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05bDWj_uTkQ]Colt Python - YouTube[/ame]

8. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I have a couple. One is a safe queen and the other is a shooter. Simply amazing guns. But you are essentially paying a premium for the name and the prestige of the words. "Colt" and "Python".

Many people will say that a good older S&W is just as good or can be made just as good as a Python. Simply not true. This statement is usually made by people who can't justify the additional cost of a Python. I have lots of older Smiths and I LOVE them all dearly. I'm not a fan of Colt over S&W or vise versa. But as nice as the older S&Ws are, they are not in the same class as a Python.

But now that the prestige of the Python and value continues to increase, I find that my shooter grade Python is spending more time the safe as well. I picked up a Performance Center S&W that I find very close to the quality of my shooter Python and I know I can easily replace it if I wear it out or tear it up since they are still being made.

I think everybody should own at least one Python at one point in there life though. Just plan on paying a premium and plan on defending your decision with people who will tell you that they're overpriced and that their S&W is just as good for half the price.

9. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Quoted for truth.
    The S&W PC revolvers are pretty close. Not worrying where you can find parts is a huge bonus.

10. NativH

NativH New Member

I have a 4" Python which I carry on those few times I carry a revolver. I also have a 629 Classic S&W 44 Mag that gets carried when hunting or walking in snake country (ratshot). The Colt is just a super well built weapon with incredible tolerances. The S&W, and I know this is pretty much just a standard S&W, is also a very nice pistol. ANd at about half the price of the Python, it is a great gun. But hold, shoot, carry a Python for a few days and you will understand why they are so revered.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive had people give me that spiel at the range before. i let them dry fire it and then fire it with ammo and not one has repeated that mantra after trying out a python.

12. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

my uncle has 2. when i first got my pistol permit he offered one of them to me for 350.. i didnt have the cash laying around and then lost interest in it for a bit. i went back and he said th eprice had gone up.. way up.... its probly about 97 98 percent. with a nice set of custom grips. for my friend he says 900 for me i bet i could still get it at 700. after all i my uncle was almost like my dad

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

one other thing. i contacted colt a while back in regards to servicing my python should it need it and they said they will service and repair it. so im not worried in the slightest should i need to have it re-tuned or a broken part replaced.

its easy to tell if a python needs tuning. pull the hammer back hold it with your thumb and pull the trigger and hold it back, while doing that try and rotate the cylinder. if it moves it should be serviced as the pawl or arm part is starting to wear. replacing the pawl or arm thing is cheap having the whole thing reworked is pricey.

14. grizzlymag

grizzlymag New Member

This gun ended up getting taken from me in a burglary, luckily it was recovered about six months later in the trunk of a car, problem was the poor thing had some surface rust and it made me cry. I sent it back to Colt I had them apply electroless nickel finish and they sent it back to me free of charge. Got to love Colt. I do miss the royal bluing but the rust putting was to extensive to re-blue it.

Attached Files:

15. firedawg60

firedawg60 New Member

Back in the mid 80's I was really wanting a Python. But, like now, I couldn't afford it. I ended up with a S&W 686 6". I'm still happy with that, but would still like to get a Colt.

16. VaDragoon

VaDragoon New Member

I have a NIB 6” Colt Python with Ellison Sights that I purchased in 1980. I also have a S&W Model 19-3 that is a fine gun but IMHO, it does not compare to the Python. This opinion is strictly based on working the action and observation of the fit and finish of both revolvers.

My plan was to shoot the Python when it was purchased but I decided to keep it for investment purposes. It tuned out to be a good decision since, as you know, the Python is no longer produced. It’s sad to see the passing of fine craftsmanship in the USA. :(

I recently purchased Cocobolo grips from Altamont and plan on building a lightbox to take pictures of my guns. I also purchased the shop manual on Colt revolvers by Jerry Kuhnhausen to learn more about the Python’s internals.

The Python commands a premium but like other guns with fame, prestige, and mystic, many are willing to pay it.

17. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Great gun, a classic.

BTW woody that is the nastiest freakin avatar...and i don't even know what it is.

18. woody63m

woody63m New Member

It's my stomach thanks alot

19. booger-red

booger-red New Member

I have just located a Python like new condition and affordable after seeing many of these $1500 and up I'm going to buy it. I was wondering what a .22 diamondback in like new condition would be worth.

20. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Thats bad but not as bad as mr Tyler Durdens :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]