Colt Python information needed

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by LGSOO, Dec 9, 2010.

1. LGSOO

LGSOO New Member

I am trying to identify my father's Colt Python. The serial # is 4XXX9E.
    What I need to know is whether it's Shiny Stainless, or Nickel plated. Can anyone help me?

Thank you

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

At the time that I ordered my Python with a 6-inch barrel, around 1993, that finish was called "Bright Stainless."

That's a beautiful gun. Wish I still had mine. :(

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Your cryptic S/N only allows me to narrow it down to 1976 or 77. I need the first three #s to be sure. There were 70,000+ Pythons produced in those two years.

Regardless which year, Colt didn't make a stainless Python until the mid-80s.
    All the SS Pythons I've seen are "T" prefixed s/n guns which Colt started to mark in 1983.

My guess is it's a nickel gun with an outside (slim) chance of it being a hard chromed Custom Shop piece.

4. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I believe your Python was made in 1977 and is in nickel. And I believe the Stainless guns appeared for the first time in the catalog in 1982.
    Nice Pistol. I use to have one in Blue D Grade 6" Engraved but sold it to my father in law many years ago.

5. HKSlinger

HKSlinger New Member

Now,doesn't electro plating look a lot like nickel ?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  6. Sniper03

Most electroless nickle weapons I have seen looks more like stainless. Not a bright and shiny as the true Nickle.

7. Sniper03

The Bright Ultimate Stainless Pythons were not manufactured until 1985. 1985 until the Python production was discontinued in 1998. According to the Colt Serial Number Records your Python was manufactured in 1977 which would make it the Nickle finish. But man what a beautiful pistol it is. As I stated I had a Bright Blue 6in. D Engraved and also a 4" that I carried on duty for a period of time. It is a shame that they do not produce them anymore although they were getting outrageously expensive at the end.

8. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

hmmm, I can't see a s/n

9. Sniper03

Lon

In his first post he gives the series of his serial number as #4XXX9E It is interesting reading. If you want to check it out here is the website.
    1965 Colt Python

10. Sniper03

Sorry it must have been censored since it was a website and did not go through to you. Anyway! it is found on the web for Guncollectorsclub

11. Charger Fan

Charger Fan New Member

Uhh...that's 'cuz you don't see the cylinder open.;)

Sniper03, cool site for a minute...-...but the search feature really sux.

12. lareegemouth1

lareegemouth1 New Member

Colt python

If the front sight screws are blue the Python is stainless, either bright or matte. The plated Pythons have the front sight screws plated ,either matte or bright.
    Period. I have never seen so much crap from the other readers in any other forum.
    Largemouth1

13. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

......huh? You were up at 5:30 in the morning to give us this?

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

Way to go highspeed the thread is almost 6 months old and your first post is pointless since sight screws can be changed and guns can be refinished.

15. HKSlinger

HKSlinger New Member

S pee why! :mad: Hmmmmm, guess you should be running along back to those other forums.

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  16. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

By God! The Man's a genious! No one would have ever thought to check the screws. Stick around, we could use a man of your intelligence and expertise to guide us. . . :rolleyes:

17. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Research, data and facts are now "so much crap"? Relying on a screw color/finish to identify any firearm is idiotic, especially on a 25-35 year old gun.

If this post is an indicator of how you speak to and interact with others, I hope it is the only one you make on FTF.

18. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Where's that image about the thread necromancer? I think it would apply here. :D

19. canebrake

canebrake New Member

WOW, in the words of that economic word-smith WDB, WOW!

Why the hate?

DUMB is in the (just behind the) eye of the beholder. - cane Yes you may quote me on that.

NOTE to members: [​IMG]