Colt or Kimber? if you uwn one.......

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by eborden1122, Jul 2, 2011.

1. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Hey Guys,
    Gotta question, I am going to get either a Colt Gold Cup"Ttrophy" or a Kimber with laser grips. Does anyone on here own either one? I have talked with my buddies in the neighborhood anf the guys at the gun shop and it is literally a 50/50 split. So now I turn to my friends here yet again, opinions please? Cane?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

My answer should be obvious and unabashedly biased.

Hands down, the Gold Cup. Although I could go on ad nauseum with the virtues of the Colts, I'll spare JD and his incessant need to defend Kimber.

Get the Colt, you will be happy. (And you won't need a laser to put steel on target!)

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Both are excellent pistols. My suggestion is that if you go for the Kimber, pass on the laser.

4. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

While there are some advantages to having a laser, for most of my target shooting I do without.
    A laser is good to help enforce the basics of pistol shooting, but I have seen too many people rely only on the laser and not the basics.

Now which firearm? Sorry, I don't have either Kimber or Colt, so I'm staying out.

6. Wambli

Wambli Member

Is this a range or a carry gun. The reason I'm asking is that the nice sharp target rear sight on the Gold Cup does a really good job of taking a hunk of skin off my side (actually all target sights on 1911s for the most part) when I carry it concealed. Just a thought...

Love Colts and love Kimbers. At the moment I find myself Colt-less because the last series 70 I owned I had to sell to a friend of mine that had never owned a 1911 and I found myself compelled to end his misery. I'm currently looking for another to replace it. I do own several Kimbers and they are world class guns.

As far as lasers are concerned they are fine tools as long as you learn and get the fundamentals solid. So use it as an advantage when nessesary not as a crutch to skip out on training and marksmanship.

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Without a doubt, Gold Cup. Though I don't own that model, my Colt Series '70 has done everything I've asked of it for 35 faithful years. Would be hard pressed to have had a better friend at my side all that time.

8. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I like my Kimber but I think I would go with the Gold Cup.

9. mag318

mag318 Member

I would go with the Colt. Kimber and a lot of other companies make quality 1911s, but nobody has been doing it as long as Colt. Colt will always be the standard by which others are judged, so why not get the original.

10. DinkyDauDon

DinkyDauDon New Member

I have both...wouldn't trade either one of them. I use Tripp mags in both with great reliability. Tried lasers, didn't like them, I guess I'm too old school.

11. freefall

freefall New Member

At the moment I own no Colts. Have had a couple good ones and one bad one. My wife (The Lovely Mrs) owns 2 Colts, a Commander which is great, and an Officers ACP which has been problematic. My daughter (The Lovely Miss) owns a Delta Gold Cup which is stellar. I heart my Kimber Compact, bought The Lovely Mrs one to carry in place of her Officers.
    All that blather being said though, I'd buy the Gold Cup.

12. eborden1122

Here's the problem I'm having. I have heard that the colts are not as good as they used to be and are living off their name. But others are saying that's BS and they think colt is the best thing ever, same for the kimber people. But there is a colt commander at my local gun shop that I really like and it feels great. Then there is a kimber I could/want to use for CC also. They both are beautiful. I have heard allot of opinions on this thread so I think I am going to say "to hell with it" and get the colt first since I don't have one in my collection yet and then get the kimber next month so I can have both. Problem solved, thanks for everyone who posted and helped me out. Take care, Ed. :)

13. Dennis845

Dennis845 New Member

A picture is worth a thousand colts...

PairKimbers.jpg

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

Ive owned both. Two series 70 an original 1970s version and a current production series. I had one kimber. The kimber i sold a while back cuz i hated it. My first series 70 i gave to my brother for a duty weapon. He is giving it back in november as he doesnt want it anymore since he quite being a cop.

The new series 70 are way better than the old ones. I had issues with older finger bushings and feeding some hp ammo. The new one has no such issues.

When i get it back ill do a side by side comparison.

15. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

I agree, I can't stand Kimber either. I had a Pro Custom 2 in stainless and night sights. It is hands down the most over priced, unreliable, and disappointing pistol I've shot. It jammed over 120 times out of 600 rounds I put through it and accuracy was just ok, and that after a feed ramp polish and chamber throating. Only things good about it weight and looks. Colts are good, but I like Springfield Armor 1911s.

16. jca1

jca1 New Member

Ummmmm....get the COLT!!!!

17. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

I own a Colt and I used to own a kimber, their is a reason for that. The other 2 Colts and the one I have now have not had any problems with jams, misdeeds, or accuracy, the kimber did.

18. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

The other thing is Colt has a life time warranty and kimber has 1 year maybe 2 year warranty.

19. Jay

Jay New Member

Some have issues with one brand, and some don't. I have a Colt Gov't model, and a Colt Commander, 1911's, and two pre-series 1 Kimbers, with 4" barrels. None of 'em have ever given me any sort of issue.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  20. eborden1122

I want to thank everyone for your advice and opinions. That is why this site is the best. I am going today or tomorrow morning to choose between a Colt 1991 series commander or a Kimber ultra crimson carry II. If I can't decide on which one I want then I am going to say to hell with it and get both. I will be broke after but its only money. Thanks again, take care. Ed