Colt next

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by wayno148, Jun 5, 2012.

1. wayno148

wayno148 New Member

Have a Kimber C II and DW CCO coming. I want an SR1911 but that will be awhile and I have always wanted a COLT. Was trying to stay away from series 80......... Suggestions

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

All I can say is i agree on the 80 series- don't want one-
    Whats wrong with a good used 70 series :)

3. cuba

cuba New Member

Classic symptoms of an addiction, I think you need an intervention, quickly when you receive those pistols wrap them up while standing on one foot skipping, and keeping your pinkie fingers crossed, send them to me, hurry.:rolleyes:

Unless your going to try and drop the trigger pull on the Colt under 3 lb. their's really nothing wrong with the series 80 :)

4. cuba

cuba New Member

:D Collet barrel bushing :D

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Guess i don't understand :confused:

6. cuba

cuba New Member

[​IMG]

The collet bushing was the only thing that distinguish the original 1911-A1 from the 70 series Colt, in 1983 the series 80 was introduced with the firing pin safety and the shelf half cock hammer.

Regarding the controversy involving getting a decent trigger pull on a Series 80 gun, it is only of importance if the gunsmith attempts to create a super-light pull (under three pounds) for target or competition use. In defense/carry guns where a four-pound or heavier pull is necessary, the added friction of the Series 80 parts adds little or nothing to the pull weight or feel. A good gunsmith can do an excellent trigger job on a Series 80 and still leave all the safety parts in place, although he will probably charge a little more than if the gun were a Series 70 since there are more parts to work with. But any gunsmith who tells you that you can't get a good trigger on a Series 80 without removing the safety parts is likely either lazy or incompetent.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

7. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Colt has the Series 70 Reproduction & I don't think it includes the collet bushing.

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

OK- Good cut, copy & paste job-
    Thought you were trying to say they were on the 70 series or some such confused:

9. cuba

cuba New Member

Sure did the only thing that made the Colt 1911A1 a 70 series was the collet barrel bushing. The newer ones are commonly called "New Rollmark (NRM)" 1911A1 Government 45

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

To help those coming into the post late.

Some 'smiths have found that the collet barrel bushing could break fingers once in a while, rendering the pistol inop.

Though rare, it does happen.

The collet can be replaced by the solid bushing