Colt New Service .45LC

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by gunsmoke11, Oct 20, 2013.

1. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

This Colt New Service .45LC was mfg in 1925. The nickel factory version is much rarer than blue. It was first made in 1898 and has been issued to the RCMP, as well as military and police all around the world. Even Pancho Villa was known to carry one at times.

They have been used extensively in western movies. The prop people attached non functioning ejector rods to the barrel in order to disguise it like a Colt SAA for the purpose of rapid firing. Then after the scene the actor would switch back to the SA. While watching old westerns you can sometimes see the lanyard butt swivels on some of their guns. Some of those guns were Colt 1878 DA's with swivels as well. Actors like Dean Martin and Robert MItchum have used them just to mention a couple.

I've usually chosen this revolver as my backup while hunting. It's a very strong and dependable gun, as well as being very accurate. The caliber is also a favorite of mine. The skeleton shoulder rig was made for me and was copied from a rig featured in Packing Iron Gun Leather of the Frontier West. The belt holster is a vintage F.Mueller, of Denver that's approx. 90 years old.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Nice gun and leather. I'm envious.

3. JW357

JW357 New Member

I second all that.

Beautiful.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have to agree as well. very nice looking old Colt pistol.:D

5. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Nice gun. Colt Mdl. of 1909. Do you have a letter from Colt? I would letter the gun it is worth the cost.:)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  6. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

Yes I got a letter around 10 years ago. I always try to get letters for all my collectable guns, but even Colt is notorious for mistakes in their letters and it even happened to me once. Letters eliminate any questions people may have especially when selling a firearm. I made sure I even got a letter for my '97 Win riot. There are too many cut down versions and when I received the letter from Buffalo Bill that said mine was a riot it put my mind at ease. It stays with each gun and increases the value.

7. G30USMC

G30USMC Well-Known Member Supporter

Very nice..... Officially jealous

8. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Very nice.....can it still handle heavy loads?...

9. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

I have lots of confidence in the 45LC after almost 50 years of shooting it and I've always used factory ammo where my 45's are concerned. This revolver is as strong as any built today that handles this round, but I leave the heavy hand loads for those to fire in their Rugers.

10. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Beautiful gun! I missed out on the chance to buy one in 44-40 for a really good price, and it's still eating at me. :(

11. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Beautiful old Colt. Love those grips.

12. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

Thanks Towboater. I recall you have some real beauties yourself.

13. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

You're not the only one. I too lost out on a 44-40 and I've been aching for one for a long time, basically gave up looking for a quality one a while ago. That's my favorite caliber along with the 45 and in the NS it would be outstanding. I'm an old fart heading for the last roundup and am here on borrowed time, but I'm sure if you want one bad enough I can see one in your future. Just have a little faith and one will turn up eventually. I love shooting that gun an awful lot when the opportunity arises.;)