Colt New Agent deserve special coating?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by CHLChris, Jan 2, 2011.

1. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I recently bought a beautiful Colt New Agent. The finish still looks great, but I'm wondering if this stock finish (frame is blue, slide is matte blue) will prove to be less than durable.

I carry it a few times a week. Never a failure of any kind. I love this gun and will be keeping it.

If so:

Cerakote? ($190)
    NP3/Roguard by Robar? ($270)

something else?
    nothing?

[​IMG]

2. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

I believe it is better financially to keep the original finish & I usually get tired of one pocket gun every year. Do you really think you'll keep it for Years?

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

i LOVE mine. keep the current finish till it starts showing lots of wear then have it redone.

4. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Still sporting a monkey, I see.

You've got a New Agent, too, Jon? The finish looks really solid still on mine. Should I just keep an eye out for rust? Is that what "wear" will look like?

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'd wait for a while. Should you decide to sell it later, any modifications (including refinishing) could detract from retail value.

(Now if you have too much money burning a hole in the pocket, get some sights for the dern thing. Kidding.)

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

im kinda growing fond of the monkies.

i find it to be very easy to shoot i really really like the trench sight system.

when the bluing starts to fade it will turn more silver.

not my gun but its a good example of bluing wear.

[​IMG]

i would love to have the trench sight system on my series 70 colt. that little new agent is quickly becoming my favorite 1911. ive fired other small framed ccw guns but the new agent is a really good shooter it doesnt have that snappy muzzle flip of most small guns and still keeps a small profile with a full 7 round mag.

7. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Yep, I was expecting some sort of a beast during recoil, but it handles much the same as my full-size SA. I will admit, this Colt just feels like finer quality than the SA.

I keep getting an itch to trade out of my SA Loaded 5", but that New Agent will be going nowhere.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

if you ever get your hands on one of the new colt series 70 you will wet yourself. its that good.

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Could someone please tell me how the sights (or lack of) are working in real life :confused:

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

i would say if its your first handgun ever your in for a steep learning curve. if you have been shooting for a while and got lots of 45acp down range you will pick it up quick. i find the trench sight on the new agent to be more intuitive for me. its inda hard to explain it just feels natural to point and shoot.

most of my shooting has been in the 5-15 yard range typical groupings are in the 4-5 inch range at 15 yards centermass.

the manual says to square the pistol up and place the "u" of the trench on the top of your target.

what i do is place it on the point i want the bullet to impact. my eyes end to square the tombstone shape of the upper receiver up and place that on target. so far ive got about 500rounds through it and i like it more and more.

if you dont like the idea of the trench sight you can get the exact same gun with traditional sights in the defender. the new agent has slim grips and trench sights. thats the only difference.

regular fullsize mags work in both guns. so i keep one shorty 7 round mag and a couple full size on hand

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  11. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Only once to the range so far...not much experience here. But I train at home all the time, raising it to acquire a sight picture and all that.

The New Agent is actually EASIER to acquire a sight picture for me than standard sights. I was really surprised by this, but it is surprisingly true.

Now, the point of impact is a little weird for me (below the sights instead of above) and I am not yet used to it. I won't be target shooting with it soon, but it is consistent. I just need to get better used to it.

I love it!

12. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Interesting- I"ll have to handle one soon - Very sweet looking shooter :cool: