Colt Model N 1908 vest pocket .25 auto

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by bikerlbf406, Jun 20, 2013.

1. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

Just bought me a Colt Model N 1908 vest pocket .25 auto with the serial number of 262xxx which dates it to 1920 according to my online research. Slide has some pitting but I picked it up for $202 out the door from a pawn shop. I get to pick it up Saturday, thanks to Illinois 72 hour wait.

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I'd love to see a picture of it when you pick it up. Sounds nice.

3. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Sounds awesome to me. I love my Beretta 25. I still want an old Colt Junior or Astra Cub or Star Starlite, mini 1911 in 25.

4. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

Well I spoke to the pawn shop today where I bought the gun and my background check didn't clear until 6:30pm that night which means it can't picked up until 6:30pm Saturday and they close at 5pm.......so I'm stuck waiting until Monday before I can pick it up. Which really stinks. Damn state waiting period.

5. JolietGunner

JolietGunner New Member

where in illinois is there a pawn shop with guns?

6. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

Collinsville, IL is where I bought mine at, theres 3 pawn shops in Collinsville and 1 atleast in Maryville, IL that all sell guns.

7. Garadex

Garadex New Member

72 hours is not that much; in Kalifornia we gotta wait 10 days for all guns.

8. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

I hate the 72 hour wait for sure, but I agree it could be worse. There's no way I could stand California, Washington D.C., New York or Chicago and all there strict gun control laws. Thankfully I live in southern, IL so its not all bad here, for example our county already has conceal carry.

9. JolietGunner

JolietGunner New Member

Oh way too far for me Im up north by chicago.

10. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

Here's pictures of my Colt. It has some pitting, especially on the side, but for being 93 years old (serial number dates it to 1920) you can't expect it to be perfect and I say it's in good condition for the year. The barrel has no pitting and is in great shape. The slide isn't original to the gun as the serial numbers don't much, but it's a close match as the last 2 digits of the frame is 48 and the last 2 of the slide is 50......the first 4 numbers match, so the slide is also from 1920. The grips are the bake a lite grips and are original Colt grips, not reproduction and are in excellent condition as well.

Attached Files:

11. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

Also I name all of my gun with spanish names that has something to do w/ the gun. I named this one Pot, which is short for potro, which is spanish for Pony, after Colt's Logo.

12. racer_x

racer_x New Member

13. That is a dandy looking $200 pistol, friend. I like old guns; they have class and soul.

14. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

Thanks guys, this is my first antique or classic gun, and also my first Colt. I just got done buying a new slide on gunbroker.com for it, since mine has quite a bit of pitting on the left side. Once It arrives and I get it installed ill post pictures of it.

15. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

Finally made it to the range and got a box of ammo through it. Only had the cash to do 1 box, however the gun performed like a brand new gun, is surprisingly accurate at 10 yards and it was a blast to shoot.......the funnest firearm I've shot yet, even funner then my 1911.

16. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

My new slide that I ordered came in yesterday and got it installed on the gun. Looks amazing, especially since serial number dates it to 1919, so 1 year older then the gun. Is there any easy/cheaper way to restore or redo the bluing on the frame of the gun, other then having it reblued professionally, as now that the slide is replaced you can really notice the bluing wore off on the right side of the frame. If I could make it look nicer, then the gun would really look nice. Here's pictures of the gun with the new slide in place.

Attached Files: