Colt m1911A1

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Gabill, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Gabill

Gabill New Member

Just picked up a stock colt m1911A1. Cleaned and put 50 rounds though it. Shoots great. Is it worth changing and up grading spring?

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

if it shoots great, why would you need to change anything?

3. Gabill

Gabill New Member

I have had several say you should up grade the spring on some of the older models.

4. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Rule number one....no pics...it did not happen. Show us your workhorse! :D

5. Gabill

Gabill New Member

Here it is

Attached Files:

6. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Nice colt! Thanks for sharing.

7. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Leave the springs alone.

8. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

If the gun is used and you don't know how many rounds were put through it before you snagged it, then yes, by all means, change the recoil spring. In addition to having peace of mind, you also have a spare recoil spring.

You should do that with any used firearm if you don't know how many rounds were previously put through it.

The Colt 1911 is a good pistol, but it requires regular maintenance just like any other weapon.

If you want to "set it and forget it", so to speak, flat wire chrome silicon springs are the best way to go.

I simply buy replacement Colt parts from Colt and change them out whenever necessary. That means about every 1K-2K rounds down the pipe. Some people do it more frequently, some less frequently. I don't shoot anything else except factory 230gr FMJ Winchester or Remington.

If you notice any failures to feed or extract, that generally means you have a weak spring, assuming the magazine functions correctly. Yes, the extractor is a sort of spring. Most failures are going to be magazine and ammunition related.

9. Axxe55

if it shoots great and operates like it's suppose to, i see no reason to start changin things.

a philosophy i fall back to is this, if it's not broke, don't fix it.

i only make changes to either personalize the gun to my tastes, to make improvements that enhance the operation or accuracy of the fiream, or to fix minor flaws in the design of the firearm.

10. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

It's pretty hard to wear out a 1911 recoil spring. Unless it's rusted it should be fine.
    If the recoils pring was worn out, why wouldn't all the other springs be worn out?
    I have seen hundreds of WW2 era US-issue 1911a1s/. I have never seen one with a worn out recoil spring!

11. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

That's a nice gun. How old is it, and how much was it?

12. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

You should send that gun to me. I just happen to have a spare recoil spring for a Colt 1911. I'd be happy to take care of it.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

13. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

That is a nice Pony, but is it not a Commander size?

And the answer is, it is a 1991A1 Compact.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  14. Gabill

Gabill New Member

It's a colt compact, officer, I picked it up off internet for $ 700. It was supposed to be new in box, but I thing it had been fired. The guy told me it had been in the safe for a while. It's a great shooter. Have nit check serial number yet.

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

If you choose to replace the recoil spring use the stock weight design for the gun.

Compact guns should have recoil.springs changed every 1500 or so rounds sub compact every 750 or so. Reason being is a weakened spring will cause extra frame wear reducing life of gun

16. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

If it is a used gun by all means replace the springs. They are cheap and it can't hurt. Wolfe and Wilson Combat will have what you need.

17. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Normally, when you get a new recoil spring, they will include a firing pin spring.
    The recoil spring works with the hammer spring to control recoil, but the main job is to push the slide forward.

If used, I would replace all springs (sear spring, too). That is to give me ease of mind.

Get to know what you have before changing. Can you replace the firing pin spring? Can you clean the extractor channel?

18. Gabill

Gabill New Member

According to colt they do not make this recoil spring any more. Any suggestion on where to get one when I need it?

19. Axxe55

Brownells and MidwayUSA both carry Wolff springs which are quite good. you need to find out the factory spring rate for your pistol to match it up to where it functions like it's suppose to.

20. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member