Colt LE6900

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by kbd512, Feb 2, 2013.

1. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Anyone here own a Colt LE6900?

Canebrake, care to comment?

The lower looks like the MAG Tactical 6061-T6 lower, but clearly it does not have some of the features of the MAG Tactical model (reinforcement around the pin holes and a few other geometry differences).

It looks like a direct competitor product to the S&W M&P15 Sport carbines, as it has the forward assist removed and the machining steps for a removable trigger guard were obviously skipped.

I see it has the silly government profile barrel, which is probably more cost cutting, but it also looks like it has some form of lightweight aluminum free float hand guard.

I'm a fan of lightweight AR-15's and this would be an interesting addition to the collection.

I'd never seen or heard of this particular model before today and I generally try to follow what Colt does with the AR-15. I guess I missed this model.

Just curious.

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I first heard about the 6900 in December but it seems to be held back for now. The info you listed is what I've heard about it, much like the M&P 15 Sport with FF barrel.

This is the only picture I've seen:
    [​IMG]

3. kbd512

Quentin, there are plenty of photos of the gun on GunBroker that show more detail. I still can't believe that there's no info on Colt's website about the carbine. It must be a distributor special.

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I never go to GunBroker these days! :D

5. kgrigsby

kgrigsby New Member

I purchased one of these last week at Sportsman Warehouse. I've tried my heart out to get the hand guard tube off of it. Anyone have any suggestions? I have broken a cratftsman strap wrench it after heating it. I called Colt and they say it should turn off with good use of hand force and that there is not any loctite used on it.

Attached Files:

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Looks good. More pics, please! :D

And might help to figure out how to remove the tube.

7. scottmac

scottmac New Member

Reverse thread maybe?

8. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Did you back off the jam nut? Rotate the lighter colored ring clockwise towards the receiver, that should take tension off of the hand guard.

9. kgrigsby

kgrigsby New Member

I can't find a tool to back off the jam nut with. The depth of the nut is not deep enough to use a Jam Nut Wrench on. I went to Home Depot and picked up a $30 Rigid Strap Wrench and still can't break it free. I'm going to visit an Armorer at a local gun shop and employ their services to remove it for me.

10. Above

Above New Member

I purchased one last weekend. I would like to know when you get it figured out!

11. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

My rock river came with a similar free float tube and it was a pain in the *** to get off. Once you break free the thin jam nut the tube unscrews in a breeze. But I do mean "break". Like yours the grooves on mine were not deep enough for the jam nut wrench to get a good bite, so I got the gun clamped solid and used a hammer and flat head screwdriver. Put the screwdriver in the slot and started tapping easy to try to loosen it to no avail. Gave it some heat and increased the pounding on the screwdriver. Rather than twist at all the jam nut finally broke in the groove that I had been pounding on. Then the tube came off very easily. The nut breaking was fine with me because the quad rail I bought came with a new threaded barrel nut and jam nut. Quad rail did not fit factory barrel nut, so I had to change that as well. Also a pain in the ***. But once it was all done the results were well worth the effort. Don't give up!

image-949974007.jpg

12. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Have you tried a spanner wrench? Gives a little more leverage.

13. kgrigsby

kgrigsby New Member

I took it to an Armorer and he had one heck of a time with it. He stated that there is indeed loctite used on both the hand guard tube and the nut. He said purple was used. He had to machine the nut off as he did not have a tool for it and said it would not budge. At the end of the day he said I would have never gotten it off alone. Here is a post with some good pics of the rifle ( http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_29/232021_New_Colt_Light_Rifle_6900.html ) and ill post pics of my updated rifle when I'm done adding gear to it.

14. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

Where is Cane, you would think he would jump on this thread in seconds?!

15. kbd512

You'd think that, but maybe I unknowingly ticked him off.

I have such a great personality, you'd think that that kind of thing would never happen. Oh, right, back to reality.

It's an odd duck coming from the manufacturer of the military's favorite pop gun.

16. kgrigsby

kgrigsby New Member

This is what the weapon looks like now.

Attached Files:

17. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

sweet...glad you got it fixed up to your wishes. Kick azz looking stick.

18. Bowlieweekender

Bowlieweekender New Member

Is the Colt LE 6900 receiver extension Mil-Spec?

Do you know if the receiver extension is commercial or Mil-Spec? I'm fitting Magpul CTR stock and it makes a difference.

Cheers Nigel

19. Bowlieweekender

Bowlieweekender New Member

Is the Colt LE6900 receiver extension Mil-Spec or Commercial

Do you know if the receiver extension is commercial or Mil-Spec? I'm fitting Magpul CTR stock and it makes a difference.

Cheers Nigel

20. JDCJR

JDCJR New Member

Update

I know this is an old thread but still it is a good question. The answer is that it is a Mil-Spec tube.

I bought one in August 2013 for $800 added a Magpul CTR Stock, Magpul Mbus pop-up front and rear sights and a Bushnell TRS25 optic on a UTG mid level riser. (perfect co-witness set up)

I have shot approx.600 rounds through it so far and it has performed flawlessly with multiple types of ammo.