Colt le6490 vs. Armalite SPR MOD 1

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by bluegrasstank66, Jul 6, 2011.

1. bluegrasstank66

bluegrasstank66 New Member

I am looking for an AR to purchase and have narrowed it down to these two. Both are very similar in appearance, materials, and cost. I have done as much researching as possible and still cant make up my mind. So what does everyone else think? I need some outside perspective!

2. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Thats an easy one for me, Colt.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

my personal pref is for semi-auto ar15 is rock river arms. i do have a colt AR SP1 (most excellent rifle) and my wife's dpms panther. if your running full auto definately colt parts, but semi auto it doesnt make that much sense to pay out the butt for high priced ar15's you will prolly never stress to that degree.

im a huge fan of colt but i think dollars in the ar market are better spent elsewhere.

just my opinion.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Colt is certainly not perfect, but Armalite (under current ownership) has turned out some less than ideal products. In 5.56, Colt. I am considering an Armalite in .308.

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

The SPR MOD 1 is interesting and I do like ArmaLite (and even built one as a basic carbine) but I also have to say Colt. Even though I didn't know Colt had a monolithic upper! Still when you compare the parts, there is a difference.

6. bluegrasstank66

bluegrasstank66 New Member

Thanks for the input!

The parts do differ somewhat. Both the upper reciever and lower reciever are practically the same. I do think that the barrel for the Armalite is just a little better.

The only difference I have found with the two is that the Armalite has removable rails (which is cool, but ultimately not a deciding factor) and that the colt tests their BCG a little better and has a great track record. However, Armalite has a lifetime warranty and Colt's is one year I think?

As of right now I am leaning toward the Colt.

7. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Go to a range full of 11Bs beating the dog s**t out of their rifles. You'll have strong feeling for Colt as well :)