Colt Gun Rail for CCW?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Jesse17, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Has anyone ever carried "The Colt Gun Rail" as a CCW?

I'm curious if the rail poses any problems with drawing, or holstering.

Will it still fit in the same holster as a regular 1911?

Obviously I won't be mounting anything on the rail for CCW, but if I decided to use something different for a CCW later it would sure be nice to have the rail for HD later.

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I assume you're talking about a Colt 1911 with a rail?

Generally, railed guns do not fit in the same holsters as non-railed guns. Any 1911 holster that is closely molded for a non-railed gun probably will not work...

3. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I've owned 2 NIB Colts, a Commander from 2008 and a Gold Cup Trophy from 2006 and both were great guns.

Carrying a full-size 1911 everyday takes commitment and a really good belt...

5. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

Ain't that the truth! I carried a PT92 for a good while, downsized for a few months, and have now gone even bigger for my carry preference heh.

And all of the handguns I've carried have had rails and I never had an issue with my draw. I even occasionally carried the PT92 with a TLR-1 (tac light) mounted on the rail, and did a couple of IPCS sessions with the same setup (though for IPSC I mounted the holster externally, as it was a basic holster with provisions for both IWB and OWB carry).

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  6. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive got a 2010 manufacture colt series 70 and a 2010 manufacture New Agent both are superb handguns. i would buy em again even if the price came up another couple hundred $$$. both of em have no problems feeding HP FMJ even empty cases. fit and finish is superb i cant really fault anything about them. accuracy is superb. they are the best guns in the 0-1200$ range out there in my opinion.

7. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

Thats a good deal. Buds has it for $997. They make a blackened version, but they are usually $100 more.

Anyone know how good a finish is it when you blacken a stainless steel gun?

8. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I know I am resurrecting a dead thread, but I am in love with the Colt Rail Gun in black cerakote right now, so my search found this thread.

I often read the phrase "blackened stainless steel" but it isn't a blackened finish (like the SA Loaded Blackened Stainless Target), but a standard stainless steel material with a black cerakote finish.

Anybody buy a Colt Rail Gun in the last 15 months?

9. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

I bought one last month. I have not finished the reliability testing yet so I havent done a range review. But so far so good.

10. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

What about fit and finish? Did you choose bitone, SS, or black?

11. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

Black. I prefer black to stainless. But after seeing the new USMC M45 CQB-P, I should have saved money and gotten the stainless and had it cerakoted the same color brown. And get the same grips.

Im happy with the black though.