colt gold cup trophy

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by manta, Mar 9, 2014.

1. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

I have the opportunity to buy a Colt gold cup trophy in a local store.. I would be trading in my Para ordnance 14/45. Any thoughts on the Colt good or bad. ?

2. Mercator

Mercator New Member

It is excellent overall. See if you like the sight picture. The original wraparound grip isn't the best but easily replaceable. As with most Colts, the slide to frame fit is loose. It should not impair the accuracy. The grainy finished parts get stained with residue and may be a chore to clean, unless you don't care.

3. string1946

string1946 New Member

I would keep the Para and buy the Colt if there was anyway possible. I have said before my vault is like a black hole. Once a firearm gets inside there is no escape.

Attached Files:

4. Transman

Transman New Member

I'm with String, keep the Para. My 14-45 is one of my favorites,as are my colts!

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

This a new production colt or one that was made a while back.

If its made in the last 4 years I would trade that para off in a heartbeat. If its a much older colt keep the para.

6. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Just came back from the NRA Convention, with an update. The GC Trophy I checked out at the Colt booth was not loosely fit at all. The trigger was very good. The sights were still plain black, unmarked.

7. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I would ditch the para ordinance unless it is very special. I can go into a pawn shop and buy a para today and most of the pawn shops are closed on Sunday. I cannot buy a real target shooting gold cup around here. Para was made here in NC for quite a while. I think they sold all the junk here.

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Trade- Para's are everywhere-----Gold Cups not so much- If it happens you don't like the Colt you'd have a lot better trading fodder in the Colt :cool:

9. manta

That's something I am not sure about i haven't went to see it yet. I know at the clubs they are popular mostly older ones do you think the newer ones are better. As for keeping the 14/45 unfortunately here getting two firearms of the same calibre can be difficult but not impossible it has to go through the police and the question will be why do you need two handguns of the same calibre. :(

10. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

I have a Para P14/45 that I bought new when they were still made in Canada,early 90's? It has been a good accurate shooter.
    This past Fall I bought a new Gold Cup Trophy and love it! Owning both pistols,if I had to choose one? It would be the Colt Gold Cup in a Heartbeat!

11. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

That would be the crappy part. You shouldn't need to justify a second gun in the same caliber. It makes sense to stick with a caliber. Also, if you already have one, how much more concerned should the local law enforcement be about you if you have a track record of responsibility? You are either a safe owner or you are not. If you were a public menace, you already have the tool they fear (illogically).

That is another one of the levels of government interference and stupidity we still need to prevent over here.

12. manta

I agree not ideal but it is what it is here. The firearms law is need based, example I need a shotgun for shooting clays and vermin control. You could have a number of shotguns for different types of shooting. As for handguns I need a 9mm for certain competitions a .45 for large calibre competitions a .22 for small bore target shooting two revolvers for cowboy action shooting etc. There is no set limit on the number of firearms as long as you can come up for a reason for needing them.

13. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I think you need a single stack .45, for restricted capacity competitions, and as a back-up to your double stack if it fails or needs a trip to the smiths shop.

Over here we have service pistol competitions that are restricted to the issued magazine configuration. The Para wouldn't be allowed because of the double stack.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  14. Mercator

Mercator New Member

I think one full-size 1911 shooter is enough, the one you shoot best and can afford. Use your liquid funds to bring something new to the arsenal.

15. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

If it's really important to you to have a Colt, then you should get it. I have two GC's and a Combat Commander. You can almost never go wrong with a Colt.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk