Colt Firearms...One opinion

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by hillmillenia, Sep 25, 2010.

1. hillmillenia

hillmillenia New Member

As I have gotten older, I realize that Colt is in a different league. They don't advertise or get all the write ups in the rags and yet they survive and supply arms to various military worldwide. They continue to produce the handguns that set them apart from the others...sure lot's of folks make 1911's...and these folks are the sweethearts of all the writers and yet Colt is almost like a stepchild that no one wants to acknowledge. And they don't seem to care because they know...they realize that in the world of when it really counts, all that bull**** don't matter. They have a history of suppyling military arms and commercial arms to people that used them to survive the real world not the range...and yes, they have produced some of the finest range pistols as well but that was not the main focus. If you have ever looked at a USGI 1911 up close you realise that all this chatter about loose fitting slide or rough machine markings that are pretty much normal...this is a tool made of steel, not a pretty trophy. The early commercial Colts on the other hand are quite lovely...in spite of the fact they were produced on manual machines. Today Colt is using CNC machines but this was a relatively recent change. There is no particular point here, Anyone who would rebute these observations is a koolaid drinker and those that agree would not need to reply because you already know...I like to shoot and I shoot lot's of different kinds of guns. But if I ever need a real gun for the real world I'll be taking my Colt.

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Not gonna' argue. ;)

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Canebrake in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

I only have a single Colt right now, an old Trooper Mk III, and it's a fine gun...

4. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  5. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

HillMill, I'm with you.

Over the years I've owned a TON of guns. I have a pile of 1911's now, and with the exception of a Rem Rand, STI and a Wilson, the rest are Colt.

Fit and finish has come and gone over the years, but they have always been a consistent product for me. Nothing sexy or "wazoo cool" about a box stock Colt, but they still sell bunches of them.

6. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

I have a customer that I have sold a couple of Colt 1911's to,
    Funny, the price tag is always just under $1,000, then the guy tells me that before he loads that gun he'll hafta spend another grand on gunsmithing!

7. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I hear that all the time, but it is not necessary for the general user.

Throat and ramp-yes.
    Extractor tune-yes.
    Braze on the plunger tube-yes.

The rest is personal taste. The three things above can be done by a gunsmith for about $100+.

8. RairWeatherSmok

RairWeatherSmok New Member

It's only Colt in name only anymore :(

9. hillmillenia

hillmillenia New Member

I really didn't expect any comments...thank you Cane...a man amongst men! as for this my response must be:
    Samuel Colt (July 19, 1814 – January 10, 1862)
    The Colt Single Action Army 1873 (also known as the Peacemaker, Single Action Army, SAA, Model P and Colt 45)

What flavor do you prefer?...goofy grape or lefty lemon?...:D

10. crazycharlie2

crazycharlie2 New Member

The Colt name is too rich for my blood.

11. hillmillenia

hillmillenia New Member

who, on finding one pearl of great value, went and sold all that he had and bought it.

Again...it is of no consequence...It is merely my opinion...:rolleyes:

12. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

How much is Cane paying you for this post? :p

13. Dutch1911

Dutch1911 New Member

Though I agree with some, I disagree with other points made.
    I don't believe the loose fitting slides exist in the new stock weapons anymore. At least not in my recent experiences. I've purchased a new series 70 and a Combat Elite in the last year, and both were very tight.
    I use to be in love with my Kimber years ago... Sold it for the mystique and reliability. I've never looked back since... and likely won't own much else.
    Dutch1911
    1/*
    Colt Armorer LE
    Remington Armorer LE
    Glock Armorer LE

14. RairWeatherSmok

RairWeatherSmok New Member

My Colt concealed carry :)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  15. SK2344

SK2344 New Member

Back in the mid 90's the Colt's were a hot Item at the Gun Shops and I went through at least 4 of them before I started to become interested in the Glock Pistols. I loved everything about them except I must agree that out of the box, they could not be a reliable carry gun. The Gun shops were loaded with Colts of all types including the .380 models which I owned two but now you may find one in the display case if you are lucky. One very good thing about them is they hold their resale value. I just sold one of my Colt 45 SAA guns for more than I paid for it 10 years ago. The only Colt I still own is a 2nd Generation Colt SAA, with a 7 1/2 barrel and I will never sell this gun. Colt has a great History and helped make this great country we live in but I will never buy one for a Carry weapon.:(

16. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

Got a Defender in 40 S&W, LOVE it.

Had a Anaconda 44 mag, HATED it.

Several wheel guns in .41, .38.... all great guns.

Got a detective special, GREAT wheel gun

17. hillmillenia

hillmillenia New Member

Now that got my attention...:eek:

18. skimbell

skimbell New Member

"If it isn't a Colt, its just a copy"

19. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Mmmmmmmmmm.........Colt

Attached Files:

20. WoodysKJ