Colt Dragoon

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by AlphaCat, Jul 24, 2007.

1. AlphaCat

AlphaCat New Member

I just bought a Colt Dragoon blackpowder pistol and I am not sure how to load it. I think I have to put the ball, then some 27gr black powder, ram it, then seal it? Which end do I load it from and do I have the correct grain?

2. BLS33

BLS33 New Member Supporter

Put the hammer at half cock so it spins freely, then put the powder in the chamber, seat the bullet and ram it down and seal it off with some lube to get a good gas seal. Cabelas website has a video to show you if you want to see it done.

3. rodent.22

rodent.22 New Member

DON'T cap the nipples 'til YOU ARE READY TO FIRE. Leave ONE chamber UNLOADED and carry the arm with the hammer on that chamber. Just a bump to the hammer on a black powder arm will KILL you or a bystander.:eek:

4. Hawg

Hawg New Member

That's good advice but it would take more than a bump to set one off, especially if it was on the safety notch. I know the notch is the weak link but just sayin.

5. rodent.22

rodent.22 New Member

Overadvice to a novice shooter that may forget the safety notch or who may drop a capped arm was my intention. I agree with you entirely as far as experienced shooters are concerned. Awareness was my goal. Thanks for your comments to clarify!:)

6. Hawg

Hawg New Member

OK, that's cool. Better safe than sorry :cool: