Colt Detective Special

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Leo216, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Leo216

Leo216 New Member

Found this one at a pawn shop in January. $425. out the door.

Attached Files:

2. ZombieBrawler

ZombieBrawler New Member

Ouch right there! Got some history to it i surely bet nice find

3. Leo216

Leo216 New Member

I could believe he let it go so cheap. Love Colts.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Revolver prices, especially Colts have gone through the roof. 5 years ago I would have said you got taken, but today that is a nice price.

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Beautiful revolver. I would love to have one of those.

6. chucksolo69

chucksolo69 New Member

Great find. Looks just like the one I got at my LGS off consignment. But, I paid $650.00 for mine. Pawn shops can be the way to go I have seen Colt DS's go for as much as $800 - $900.

7. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow, I saw one go for 310$ about 10 years ago at an auction. :D

8. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

If the picture is true to the subject (and pictures can make things look nicer than they really are), you did ok on this deal. I don't even see any significant holster wear on the bluing and the overall shape looks damn near new. Well done.

It's kinda amazing how much revolvers have gone up and considering their renewed popularity, a shame. I remember what I paid for a new S&W Model 36 back in 1981 and what they go for now. I'd love to get another K frame .357 as I had a Ruger years ago, but the prices make one step back a bit. The only "decently" priced revolvers out now seem to be from Taurus.

9. TinCan

TinCan New Member

Nice revolver and from the pics, you got a very good deal. We inherited my mother-in-law's nickel plated version with leather holster. I carried it every day for about 2 months after Katrina and even had some nice offers to purchase it from some of the out-of-town LEOs that were down here helping out but I just couldn't part with it. It's a straight shooter and I strap it on every now and then when working around the yard to take care of any snakes I come across.

10. PigPilot

PigPilot New Member

I feel it is my responsibility to inform you that you paid an exceptionally low amount for such a fine example of a Detective Special. Likewise. I am prepared to take custody of said handgun while the local law enforcement authorities conduct your venture into larceny. :rolleyes:

BS aside, I congratulate on a superb find and great deal.:D

Sure wish I'd not had to part with my Detective Special a couple of decades ago.

11. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Is it just me or is the grip after market ? As long as the timing & lock up are good, you did well and I'm sure we all look fwd to a range report. The trick w fixed sights is finding a load that shoots point of aim.

I got lucky, the gent I bought my chiefs special off of gave me a box of Winchester Silvertips 110 gr. HP that shoot exactly POA. Even though all steel, recoil was stiff w 158 gr reloads. Yet, older 38s were often regulated for 158 gr fodder.

Good luck & Enjoy the Range Time.

12. blitzen25cat

blitzen25cat New Member

I bought this one from a retired LEO back in 1996. Only $125-He was a family friend. It is a third generation ser.no.f575xx made in 1974. It is my every day carry gun. I couldn't believe what they are going for now. Any idea of the value of mine. I'll try to post pics. It has factory grips-pachmayer(not shown) and coccobolo on the gun. Great gun. Enjoy it. Best regards Dick:)

Attached Files:

13. NativH

NativH New Member

My wife won't ever give up her DS. I'm pretty sure it was one of the last year of production, 5th model variants from '95. I think we paid around $425 for it back then. Great little shooter but I doubt is has seen 100 rounds to date. Just not something you shoot lots of, but have total confidence in should you ever need to use it.

Attached Files:

14. JoeR

JoeR New Member

I am a fan of Colt Detectives with the shrouded ejector rod.
    Joe Ritrovato

15. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

You never pay too much for a Colt. The price will go up while you enjoy owning an American Legend.:D

16. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

This is my Colt Detective Special circa 1973. I bought this gun at a
    gunshow from a private sale. I don't think it had ever been fired. I
    paid $400 for it 2 years ago.

[​IMG]

17. Donn

Donn Active Member

Very nice piece, always got a kick out of that HUGE grip on a snubby. Hafta admit, wish my S&W had one.