Colt Defender or Springfield EMP?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by okdonk, Oct 17, 2012.

1. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Been watching Youtube vids of these 2 beautiful guns. I never liked 1911 BUT somehow i kinda got interested on the compact models.
    So i narrowed to these 2 models: Colt Defender & Springfield EMP.
    I want it in 9mm caliber as i love 9mm. Never shot .45 and never been interested on it.
    I believe they are both in the same price range, $1000-$1200.
    Some of you guys are experts in 1911s. Please guide me the pros and cons of these 2 sexy guns.
    Thank you and very much appreciated. I'm totally blind about 1911.

2. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Get the Colt, because it's a Colt. And now we wait for Cane to tell you more.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

HIve got a new agent in 45acp. The best non 380 out there. The defender is the same as the new agent. The advantage of the colt over others is the colt comes with their new barrel throating. It feeds everything even empties right out of the box. I dont know if the 9mm version will cycle empty cases but it does have the same throat job.

Ive run all sorts of hp ammo through my new agent and i havent found any it doesnt like.

My vote is the colt defender no question.

The ruger lc9 is another option to look at if you dont like the idea having to thumb a safety lever.

4. Olympus

Olympus New Member

A compact size as a first 1911 isn't something that I would advise, but to each their own. I believe the EMP is going to be a little smaller and lighter than the Defender, but I could be wrong.

5. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

I have a lightweight defender..love it.

ForumRunner_20121017_181648.jpg

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Get the Defender!

[​IMG]

7. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Alright then. Votes go for Colt.. then it is Colt!
    Any good accessories websites for it?
    Thank you.

8. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

The Colt you can use aftermarket magazines, especially from Tripp Research. The SA EMP mags are proprietary and you can only use SA's mags.

Are you mixing 9mm and .45 or are you thinking of the 9mm versions of both? The New Agent comes in 9mm, too!

9. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I'm only interested in the 9mm

10. LongBaller71

LongBaller71 New Member

Colt would we a great choice.

I know this one guy who makes great custom holsters & grips for the 1911 platform. He's sort of an oddball, but he's good! :D

11. tacticalfun

My defender is 9mm...what exactly would you like to know/ what are you looking for +1 for longballer grips and holsters!

12. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I would like to know for any reliable good defender accessories sites. Thank you

13. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Just like I knew ya would Cane.

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

even as much as i like my SA 1911's, you can hardly go wrong with the Colt. SA is an excellent pistol, but i will say this, if the price is even remotely close, at the end of the day, a Colt is a Colt!

15. okdonk

okdonk New Member

But do they still even make the Colt Defender? All i can find are the ones in gunbroker. Are they really hard to get like the M&P Shield? I guess supply vs demand?

16. Axxe55

still listed on their website as being current. 9mm and 45 ACP.

17. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Yes of course it's listed. As i asked earlier.. probably due to supply and demand? Or just slow production?

18. Axxe55

not sure. my LGS had two earlier this year. one was NIB and the other was lightly used. IIRC, he was asking $975 for the new one and $875 for the used one.

19. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Yes thats about the same in gunbroker. Brand new is around $1000-1100ish.

20. tacticalfun

The only defenders left are left over stock..as per colt "we still have a select number through our supply channel blah blah blah" theres a few 100 year ann. Models in 9mm at my lgs.