Colt Defender .45?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by UrbanNinja, Sep 21, 2011.

1. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Hello Everyone,
    I am new to the forum and I guess you could still consider me "new" to the gun world. I have been making a hobby of firearms for the last 2 years, but I am still learning as i go.

I came across the Colt 'Defender' recently at my local dealer. I really liked the size and feel of this little 1911. Any thoughts, Suggestions,pro/cons..etc..?

I currently carry my Kimber "Custom" combat carry on a daily basis. I like to switch up my carry once in a while, Although most of my other pistols are "cheaper" (as I said, Im new and still learning. lol) and I do not fully trust in them as I do my Kimber. Would I be making a sacrifice picking up the Colt?

2. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Welcome to the forum sir, i like kimbers but if u put the kimber and the colt commander side by side and told me to pick one to carry i would actually pick the colt commander.. Thts just me

3. boomenshutzen

boomenshutzen New Member

I'd pick the Colt too.

-boomenshutzen

4. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

welcome to the forum, I too would pick the Kimber, I'm a big Kimber fan.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Colt here too.

Why?

Because I don't need to carry a bobby pin with me to do a field strip.

Yes, I own and carry a Defender.

6. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

7. samurai

samurai New Member

I have both the New Agent and Defender Plus- both have been 100% with the New Agent one of my main carry guns.

8. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Thank you all for the welcome.

This is a very good reason. HAHA

My kimber is great as a carry gun. Full size barrel with an easily concealable "officers" grip. I would love to continue carrying the Kimber. Although it is a very rare piece and probably a collector..Id really like to clean it up and just put it away.

I added the Hogue rubber wraparound grip, I really enjoyed the way it helped with recoil and stability while firing. The Colt Defender was the next best thing I could find to compare. Yes, I know I could just add the grip to any other pistol and make it similar, But something about the colt just grabs my attention.

I know that purchasing a pistol is personal preference but, Is there anything else anyone could suggest in similarity I should look at?

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Yea, put a set of these grips on the defender:

[​IMG]

Or these:

[​IMG]

10. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

11. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I vote Colt Defender as well. I own one too and it is a great carry pistol.

12. jimbobpissypants

jimbobpissypants New Member

I've been carrying a Defender since they were new to the market. I have nothing bad to say about mine.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive got a new agent which is the same as a defender minus the sights. fantatic gun. ultra reliable. great shooter.

14. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

A good 3" .45 you might check on is a Para-Ordnance (now Para-USA) Warthog (Model WHX1045R). 3" barrel, 10+1 capacity, single action. Reasonably accurate, dependable. OAL 6.5", height 4.75". Pretty good concealability, although a bit thick in the grip. Cost is plenty bucks, but likely no worse than the Kimber. My only complaint is that the recoil spring is pretty stout, it takes a lot of physical effort to strip and reassemble it. Since I live in S. Carolina where it is warm most of the year, I carry mine a lot, practice regularly, and endure the cleaning effort.