Colt Competition Sporting Rifle CSR-1516 VS RFA30CATCS - DPMS PANTHER

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by joaopauloqfc, Jun 11, 2014.

1. joaopauloqfc

joaopauloqfc New Member

hello i am a gun enthusiastic i am trying to buy my first rifle to have fun at the local range. i have choose two rifle and i cannot decide what is the best. i am between RFA30CATCS - DPMS PANTHER VS the Colt Competition Sporting CSR-1516. what is the best for a beginning like me?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

The colt competition rifles arent colt. They are licensed lroduct made by a company in texas to colt specs. That being said its going to be a better product than anything coming out of dpms with better customer service

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Get the Colt. If you ever decide to sell the rifle you will get your money back.

Being new to rifles it is a good chance you will sell any gun you buy today to buy a gun that you like better after you get some experience.

4. joaopauloqfc

joaopauloqfc New Member

thank you very much guys. i will get the colt.

5. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Wise choice. I don't think Colt would license their name on a product that wasn't pretty high quality, and like Jon and John said, you will be better off in the long run than with any of DPMS's offerings, and with a higher re-sale value if things ever get tight.

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

A lot of people would disagree with this as Colt has licensed their name to Umarex/Walther .22LR knockoffs of their M16/M4 and 1911. But I have a phony pony M4 .22 and a 1911-22 and find them to be reliable and certainly good enough for the job, trainer/plinker.

I would hope the model the OP is considering is also good but have no experience with that one. It would be wise to look at competing brands, more selection tends to be good - you never know what might turn up!

7. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

That may be the model Colt I have seen available for about $600. If that is so, and the OP is trying to decide between it and a similar priced DPMS model, I would still take the Colt branded rifle. As I have said before, if money gets tight or the OP wants to trade for say, a Daniel Defense, he will get more out of the Colt than a similar priced DPMS.