Colt Combat Commander xse

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by MOshooter, Sep 12, 2013.

1. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

I purchased a Colt combat commander xse and picked the pistol up 9/3/13
    IMG_1739.jpg

IMG_1740.jpg

COLT COMBAT COMMANDER XSE SPECS.

The combat commander is an all stainless steel frame and receiver model that comes from the factory with the new colt style throated 4.25 inch barrel,aluminum 3 hole trigger w/travel stop adj.,enhanced hammer,front and rear receiver serrations,extended ambidextrous safety lock,lowered and flared ejection port,colt upswept beavertail saftey grip w/palm swell,full length guide rod,Novak sights,rosewood double diamond grips,and enhanced cut under the trigger guard allows for a higher secure grip on the pistol. The pistol also came with 2 colt 8 round magazines and weighs in at 33.5 oz.

RANGE REPORT

Since picking up the pistol 9 days ago I have had it out 3 evenings shooting.

The first night shooting 10 and 15 yds,I only had enough time to shoot 75 rounds through the pistol. I shot a variety of ammunition JHP,round ball,and semi wad cutters,everything I ran through the pistol functioned flawlessly,and the pistol really showed signs of excellent accuracy.

The second evening out I had more time,I was able to shoot a 100 rounds through the pistol,before the mosquitos,horseflies,and 97 degree humid weather drove me back inside.
    My first 2 magazines at 15 yds were pretty good,again the pistol showing good accuracy potential. Half way through the second box of ammo the pistol started feeling different? The magazines started sliding in the pistol smoother,the mag release began to operate easier(smoother),the hammer cocked back easier(smoother),the excellent trigger out of the box just became smoother,it seemed like the pistol began breaking in.

IMG_1736.jpg

Tonight mild temps and not as many bugs :)
    The pistol again shot flawlessly,I ran a 100 rounds through the Colt 1911 before the sun began setting. I shot from 10,15,and 20 yds the pistol is an absolute delight to shoot,it seems to be breaking in nicely,it has been very accurate and completely reliable without a single ftf or fte.

FINAL THOUGHTS
    I like everything that Colt offered in the Combat Commander xse package,it seems like a very reliable and accurate pistol that should give many years of enjoyable shooting and service.
    The only thing i'm slightly on the fence about this pistol is the extended ambidextrous safety,I have large-xlarge const. hands and the extended safety seems to ride on my trigger finger knuckle in the fire position? It could be i'm getting a higher grip from the under cut trigger guard?

Would I suggest this pistol to a friend or purchase the same pistol again? In a heartbeat!! :cool:

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

Now you know that when someone asks what 1911 should I get the answer is colt.

Nice shooting congrats on a very fine choice.

I've ordered a stainless non am i non extended colt safety off midwayusa. Currently backordered begning of octoberish

3. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

Nice range report Great pistol mine has become my favorite ccw.Enjoy the new member and may you're ammo box be always full.

4. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Jon you know my answer on which 1911 to own? After owning this pistol for 10 days now :)

Thank you Jon,I couldn't be happier with the 1911 choice I made.

I think the non extended ambi safety is a excellent choice,for larger hands the extended ambi safety seems a bit close. If I had a choice, I would've chose the non extended ambi safety.

Thank you,I sure hope I can keep the ammo box full for the 1911 :)

5. mikemyers

mikemyers New Member

A quick question....

Would like to ask your advice. Assuming you've owned or shot other Colt 1911's before, how would you compare this gun to other Colts, especially the Gold Cup series?

I was looking at the target you posted for 10 shots - were those typical for all the hundreds of shots you did that day, or was this one of the better ones?

What I'd like to ask you was what the CEP was for at least 50 of the shots at 15 yards, but since hardly anyone is posting CEP information, maybe I can just ask you what the "grouping diameter" might be for 25 or more shots at that distance. I'll post one of the links I found to CEP.... it seems to be a very good way to condense all the shooting information about a gun/ammo/range into a single number.

(http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/accuracy/accuracy.html)

6. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

First 100 rounds down the pipe of my Colt Government 38 Super, I may need to drift the rear sight to the right a tad.

Attached Files:

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

you're getting much too technical for most of us here with all that!

most of us just shoot and practice to increase our accuracy. we all have good days shooting and get really great groups and we all have bad days and get groups that look more like shotgun patterning!

truth be told, most firearms are more accurate than the people who own them. and you also have to consider the person doing the shooting is much bigger factor in accurate shooting than the firearm will ever be.

most people who shoot pistols for accuracy are looking for real world accuracy. what they can expect in SD type scenarios or competition shooting. sometimes a change in pistol or platform is needed here. just because the pistol is accurate, doesn't always mean that it will be accurately shot by that person.

8. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Ayup, ^ what Axxe said.

9. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

I have the prev version of Commander, back of rear sight a little different (step in slide cut for larger rear sight face).

Came with a 2.5# trigger new. Hated the plastic mainspring housing (same as what broke on my dad's SS GC). Swapped in a Pachmayr arched and yanked the rosewood grips and went with Hogue slabs. 10K rounds and it's been flawless, and at 50 ft will chew the X out.

Buddy HATES Colts, but said if that one ever came up for sale he'd buy it in a heartbeat (but it will never be for sale, the kids get my Ponies when I die).

My dad's GC was a turd, broke stuff constantly (non dovetailed front sight), the Series 80 firing pin stuck fwd, other small parts. He shoots a lot though.

Hell, his stainless Python, the stainless GC, a TC Contender, his Mitchell HS and his Kart slided Colt 1911............all went down in a week or 2 week period.

All were fixed soon enough.

But that was rather comical.

He dumped the GC eventually, went with a Sig 220 and 1911, both stainless.

As far as my Commander goes.............it's been fantastic. I do dislike the funky rear sight cut, and am not a fan of 3 dot sights. Would like to have it cut for a Bomar..............but the damn thing shoots so good, and has since day 1............I'm unable to part with it, even if temporarily. I trust that gun like no other.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  10. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

Hmmmmmm, pops has a Ransom Rest.........might be a fun little test this summer.

11. mikemyers

mikemyers New Member

The reason I was so interested in this thread, is I have an old Combat Commander that was bought by a relative, and it has gone back and forth between the two of us several times now. It has never shot accurately since day one, but it's a Colt, and it looks so fine when it's sitting on the table in front of me..... I got frustrated after struggling with it since the 1980's/90's and finally sent it off to Colt last week to let them check it out.

(I know the lack of accuracy can't be completely me, as I can shoot this relative's Wilson 1911 quite a bit more accurately. My Colt may never shoot as well as the Wilson can, but with me shooting it, with my lack of abilities, I don't think there should be much difference.)

I know, the CEP stuff sounds far too complicated, but for me, computers and spreadsheets are very simple compared to shooting well! CEP makes it easier to record how well I do at the range. I used to store targets in boxes, or drawers, or folders, or photos, with notes (usually written on the targets) as to when and where and all that stuff - which gun I used, how far away the target was, and so on. The nice thing about CEP is that once you have that for any given gun or day, you can throw away everything else. All you need to keep is the CEP number, and the information about what you were shooting.

The guns are likely far more accurate than any of our abilities to get the most out of them. That makes it hard to see if I'm improving over time, or with a new technique, or stuff like whether a different brand of ammo is more or less accurate than another. CEP gives a single number that you can share with others, which indicates how well you were shooting that day.

(It also gives you a great average of where all your shots were going, which makes it very easy to adjust your sights.)

12. Axxe55

in all honesty, that CEP number means nothing to me. i see holes in a target that tell me whether i'm doing well or not. i don't shoot from a rest with a pistol. so the biggest variable will always be me, not the pistol.

now with that being said, if using this CEP number helps you become a better and more accurate shooter, then by all means use what works for you.

13. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

Commanders have shorter sight radius, and less metal out front (balance differs)......so are not as easy to shoot well (compared to a Gov model).

Worse, an Officer's model. You learn to shoot one of those well and the other bigger stuff is stupid easy.

Went to my dads to work on some bow parts and what did I see...........a Bomar sight on a long slide.
    Been sitting there waiting for barrel fitting, for 2 yrs. Maybe he's getting more serious about it, after all it moved location LOL.

14. Axxe55

personally i find one not really harder to hit with accurately at the distances i shoot pistols at then the others.

all of mine will very easily do 2"-3" groups at 10-15 yards with factory ammo or my reloads.

15. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

I like to shoot 25 and 50 yards (and sometimes farther).
    My Commander sucks past 25 yards (sight wise).

Do know a WW2 Gov model sucks at 200 yards (but man was that a lot of fun trying to hit the clay pigeon on the bank)

50 yards and under, loved my Smith 629 4". Past 50 the 8 3/8" was wicked. Think 6" the best compromise in revolver.

Yeah, most of my shots will be under 25 yards with the Commander, but I carry it afield sometimes, that long slide of my dad's might make for a good yote, chuck rig..............if it was in 10mm. A chuck at 50 would be a no-shoot with my Commander.

Buddy has a first edition Delta Elite, was at another bud's private range and I ripped two mags from it, and went to check the target. Could cover the whole group with the palm of your hand. Offhand shooting, 50 yards. Standard fixed sights. Yeah they were not in the bull, IIRC slightly high and right. But man oh man, if that thing had adjustables.............it'd be a good wild hog rig to 50 or farther.

He still has that rig, shoots 200grainers max'd out. Gun loves 'em. I tried a Berretta 92 he had..............night and day man, night and day.............I couldn't hit diddly with that thing. But that Delta made me and the owner both look like we knew wth we were doing :)

16. Axxe55

the longest barrel on any of my pistols is 5" and most are under that. so pretty much limit most of my shooting to 15 yards and less. every once in a while i will stretch out to 25 or 50 yards for fun with my revolvers.

i really need to get something with a 6-8" barrel for longer range target shooting with pistols! maybe i can con my father out of his Dan Wesson 357 with the 8.5" barrel for fun shooting!

17. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

I grew up shooting long sight radius handguns, now I freakin' need em!

Sucks when the eyes go :(

18. mikemyers

mikemyers New Member

Regarding distance, many of you are lucky to have the option of shooting at longer ranges. For me, maybe I'll need to go to a different range eventually, but the maximum distance I can shoot at my local range is 18.5 yards, which I don't do, as if I always shoot at 15 yards, so I've got something I can always compare with other targets I've shot. Because of the laws of physics, I "know" what the results should be like at any other distance, and if I ever get to where I can get all 25 shots into a 3" diameter circle, I'll be thrilled. (Of course, it's easy to say that now, but if I ever do get that good, I'm sure I will want even more....)

Regarding CEP, it's a mathematical average of all the shots you want to evaluate. Maybe you guys are much better at this than I am, but I look at targets I've shot, and while I'm able to say which ones I "like", it's mostly wishful thinking. I used to shoot three or four targets, and assumed the "best" one represented what I (and the gun) was capable of. Now I know better. I need to shoot "enough" rounds to get a good representation of what I'm doing, not a lucky target that I can't repeat.

I will find out tomorrow about the status of my Combat Commander. Colt said to call back in a week, to find out what they determined needs to be done. I'm sitting at home, worried they're going to tell me it's not fixable..... hope that doesn't happen. If they give me a shopping list a mile long of what the gun needs, I plan to just tell them to go for it, even if it starts approaching the cost of a new Colt.

In the meantime, I'm doing all my dry-firing and practice with an old S&W 357 Highway Patrolman revolver.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  19. Axxe55

there is only one way i know to get better and to become a more accurate shooter is to put rounds down range. granted, some people have a natural talent for accurate shooting, but for the rest of us average people, the only way we get better is to practice and practice, and then practice some more.

i also am not after ultra precision shooting with my pistols. that is reserved for my rifles and 22's. i mainly look for about 2-3" groups at about 10-15 yards with pistols. i have no problem achieving that goal with any pistol is own. i simply practice to stay on top of my game and for the enjoyment i get from shooting.

20. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

OK, so you want to apply some statistical measuring method to your targets.
    So.............are all of these targets shot at the same distance, same gun and same load (same lot #)?
    Are they shot on the same lane (if indoors)?
    If outdoors, same range, lane/bench and same time of day? Because lighting can really screw you......you think you have the same sight picture, swear to it, yet groups shift.

Learned that long ago outdoors shooting IHMSA (plus got burned at a muzzleloading club...........morning and afternoon lighting made substantial windage changes).

Also..........if you aim at the same spot for too long, the spot should become damaged from strikes and then add in aiming error. You need to NEVER have your aiming point disturbed, so adjust your sights so impact is NOT with aiming point.

There simply is too much noise in most "experiments" to warrant the use of finer statistical measuring systems.

OK, add this.............how long after you ate before you shot? What did you eat .....like caffeine wise?

Was this shot after work or on a Saturday (mental fatigue after work a biggie).

Did you have to rush to get to the range (juggle family and other obligations) or was this a nice relaxed mosey to the club, with no morons around, you spent hrs just shooting, looking for brass now and then.........was all mellow ;)

I used to belong to a local outdoor club, give me a Sat alone, rifles under the bench after a shot or two, take 5-10 minutes between shots.............not married, no kids............and I could get some pretty nice groups.

The hectic pace of life nowadays, I told the ol' lady.........when I go to shoot I'm taking a full day. Being a sports fitness person in college even she understood the need for such.