Featured Colt Challenger ferrule turning

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by 67stingray, Sep 29, 2017.

1. 67stingray

67stingray Member

I am working on a Colt Challenger 2nd generation and having trouble getting the grip panels off. The screw is in the right grip and the ferrule in the left grip has a rounded smooth head. The problem is that the ferrule is turning with the screw and no way to grip it. The grips are plastic and afraid to put much pressure on them - 70 years old and expensive to replace. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Colt Challenger Grip Ferrule #2.jpg Colt Challenger Grip Ferrule #1.jpg pl

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Maybe you could work some epoxy around the ferrule to hold it.

3. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

Cut a small piece of tape, duct tape is strongest, fold it back to get a grip and stick the sticky side to the ferrule ,
    hold on, .....may or may not work.

Has for me .

Jim

4. 67stingray

67stingray Member

I'm trying not to damage the grips and being plastic I'm afraid epoxy won't clean off of them, but I might have to give it a try. Thanks
    I've given the tape a try, but it's really stuck to the threads. Thanks Jim

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  5. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Clean the part with rubbing alcohol, and let dry.
    Put a tiny drop of super glue at the edge of the ferrule, and let it wick around it. Wait 5 minutes and remove the screw.

phideaux likes this.
  6. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I'd look at loctite green penetrator, but just a drop.

7. 67stingray

67stingray Member

No luck, wouldn't hold. Thanks

8. 67stingray

67stingray Member

Don't seem to be any room to get anything to seep onto the threads as tight as the screw head is to the grip, but thanks.
    I talked to the owner and he wants to put some nice wooden groping panels on it, but I'm still going to try to get the originals out with the least amount of damage

phideaux likes this.
  9. 67stingray

67stingray Member

Got the grips off without damaging them. Took a large screwdriver and inserted it in the magazine well and applied some strong pressure. Thanks for the suggestions, got the new grips ordered and they will look a lot better than the plastic ones. ( pic below)
    Colt Woodsman 2nd Gen #1.jpg

phideaux likes this.
  10. 67stingray

67stingray Member

Well, got the new trigger spring put in and fixed the safety and installed the new grip panels on it. The wood looks so much better than the original plastic grips.
    20171002_145325.jpg 20171002_145252.jpg

hiwall, phideaux and Dallas53 like this.