Colt Black Powder Re issue Revolvers

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by ALS11, Sep 20, 2012.

1. ALS11

ALS11 New Member

I'm looking for information about the Colt black powder revolvers that were re issued in (I think) the early 1970s, specifically the 2nd generation ones. Is there a book about just these Colts? I'd like to know how many were made and how many different varieties there were and serial number ranges. There were Dragoons, 1851 Navies, and 1860 Armies. I'm interested in the 1851 Navy and 1860 Army models. There is also a 3rd generation but I'm not to concerned about those.

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

They had the Colt name but were not made by Colt.

3. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

The 2nd generation black powders came out in the early 70's. I had the cased 51 Navy with the squareback trigger guard that I traded. They were beautiful guns and there was a matched pair set in a large presentation case called the Lee & Grant. One had the round and the other the square trigger guard. Later on you could purchse them seperately. These guns were made by Uberti, but were finished off here by Colt. They were not considered copies, but originals and serial numbers were picked up where they had left off at the end of their original production run. Of course they weren't valued like the antique versions. A number of them were counterfieted in an attempt to age them. After the 51 navy they came out with the 60 army and others. They can still be found today and are great black powders.

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I just seen one of the 1860 Army's NIB for sale for $400 last Saturday.

5. cnorman18

cnorman18 New Member

I would say grab it. I owned two 1860 Armies -- one with the fluted cylinder in charcoal blue and casehardened, one round cylinder in stainless steel. Wonderful guns. Still kicking myself for trading them.

6. ALS11

ALS11 New Member

hiwall,
    Where did you see that 1860 Army for sale? If it's a second generation I'd like to buy it. Thanks.

7. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

8. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a 3rd model Dragoon. There weren't very many made.

But the value kept going up so fast, I was afraid to shoot it. Eventually sold it NIB at 3X what I paid for it.