Colt barrel lugs and pins

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Belltactical, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

Feels like at least once a week someone comes in with a colt barrel where the link pin has started to fall out when they strip it to clean. Now, I've been doing this a while and early on, a old timer told me (and everyone else) to replace the link and pin and press fit them in place. We have a few small arbor presses that do the job nicely. Other smiths I now will drill a larger whole throgh the lower and the link and press an oversized pin and some people will just make sure the link and pin is ok and stake the side of the link on both sides (3+9 o'clock on one Sid and 12/6 on the other. I admit, I have done all three of these. Well Saturday a neighbor brought over a mint series 70 with a pin that falls out and it's sitting in a new work bag on my bench. Aside from the fact the gun looks factory new and I'll likely make him an offer on it, can someone smarter than me please advise which method is the preferred method for getting the link pin in the link that will stay put under recoil? I've never to the best f my knowledge had a staked link/pin shoot loose but everyone has an opinion of the right way to fix it so I thought this would be a good place to ask the question.
    Thanks.

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Id either stake it or redrill it for an over sized pin

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

3. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

I just hate to drill out a colt frame when I can avoid it even though i have a whole set of oversized pins in different sizes. I think I'll stake it and clean up any burrs/deformed metal but there shouldn't be much if any at all.
    Thanks for the response.

4. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Your welcome and ya thats probably what id do also

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did