Colt Army Special - .41 Colt

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by texaswoodworker, Feb 20, 2014.

1. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I just managed to score a 1920 Colt Army Special chambered in .41 Colt. It's in pretty good condition. The finish is about 70%, and the action and bore are in excellent condition.

I haven't been able to find much on this gun. I know that the Army Special was eventually reworked in some minor ways, and became the Colt Official Police, but that's about it. I'm just wanting to learn more about this gun. Anybody know anything about them?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  2. texaswoodworker

No one knows anything about these?

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

I told you bro... If you're not careful, you're gonna end up with a stable of obscure pinfires...

I recommend you take lessons from C3, right away man.... get him to write you a book, he knows more than google. :D

4. texaswoodworker

If they weren't a pain to reload, I'd probably have one. Saw an old one in ok condition for about $150-$200 awhile back. I'd be lying if I said I didn't think about buying it. :eek:

c3 is definitely better than google. :D

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i know very little about them myself. but looking to learn along with you brother!:D

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I had a model 1917 Army that was chambered in 45ACP. It used moon clips. Mine was Parkerized. I believe they made the same gun in several different calibers. The commercial model was sold as the "Colt New Service". It was available in a bunch of different calibers and barrel lengths.

The only model my book lists in 41 Colt is the "Colt Navy Model 1889". But it was only produced from 1889-1894.

This is a picture of the gun I used to own. This was my actual gun.

Attached Files:

• 187.jpg
      187.jpg
      File size:
      26.1 KB
      Views:
  7. texaswoodworker

Nice gun. :)

The .41 LC was first chambered in the 1887 Colt Thunderer, and then in a few other guns like the 1873 SAA. The Colt Army Special came out in about 1908??? By the beginning of WWI, .41 LC was becoming less popular and by the beginning of WWII, it was pretty much no longer produced.

I think S&W also made a few revolvers chambered in it.

8. JW357

JW357 New Member

Actually word on the street is, C3 IS Google. I know, mind blown, right?

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=mind...act=rc&page=1&start=0&ndsp=12&ved=0CEwQrQMwBA

Congrats again on your new, interesting gun bud.

It was time for a new signature. This is what you get.

9. Rick1967

I am sorry I sold mine. But someone offered me almost twice what I had paid for it.

10. texaswoodworker

Thanks. :)

That gun is high up on my list of guns to get. How was accuracy out of it?

11. Rick1967

It was very good. It had a 5.5 inch barrel. The sights were simple, but quite effective.

12. texaswoodworker

Awesome. :)

13. texaswoodworker

Well, it turns out the gun had already been sold. It sold just before I bought it, so they didn't have time to update their site. :(

The good news is, I found the same exact gun in 38 special for $100 less. :D

14. JW357

JW357 New Member

Even better!

You get a more readily available caliber for less money!

I know, I know, you like odd-ball calibers. Oh well. You still save money.

15. texaswoodworker

The only down side is, the gun is not is as great as condition as the first one. The bore is clean, and it everything should work perfectly fine on it. The finish though is not so great. A lot of it is worn off, and what's left is kind of rough. I won't know how rough until I give it a good cleaning with oil and fine steel wool.

I may just refinish it. I think a classic rust blue would look fantastic, and somewhat similar to the original finish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Rick1967

Tex that is still a cool gun. I say enjoy!

17. texaswoodworker

I actually save a lot of money. Plus the $100 off the gun.

The dies were about $75-$80, the mold for casting the bullets were about $90 for the size and style I needed, plus I would need to get everything else for casting (about $70-$80). Though, I'm going to start casting anyways, so that wouldn't matter.

18. texaswoodworker

I'll enjoy the heck out of it. :D

19. JW357

JW357 New Member

If you can't see yourself ever getting rid of it, I vote for re-finishing it.

They say doing so degrades the actual value of the gun substantially, but again this is irrelevant if you plan on keeping it. At that point, you assign its value.

20. texaswoodworker

I paid $200 for it, so I'm not worried about degrading the value. I also don't see myself ever getting rid of it. I bought it as a shooter, not a collectable. Though, I think I'd like to get quite a few Colts and S&Ws from this time period. (1890s-1930s) They just have that old lawman feel to them and are just plain awesome.

Now, if most of the original finish was still on the gun and in good shape, I'd leave it be.