Colt A2

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by ianmagerl, Feb 15, 2012.

1. ianmagerl

ianmagerl New Member

Looking for a new upper assembly for a colt a2, curious about what would or wouldn't be compatible.
    I tried putting the upper from my rra lar15 flat top assembly onto the colt lower. the only difference is the take down pins the colt has a pin in the back like my rra. the front has a pin with a bolt inside of it though. Would there be a certain type of upper I would have to buy?
    Thank you for your patience to my ignorance.

2. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

I believe that you're front pin is from an SP1, not an A2. Unless the upper or lower are out of spec, there shouldn't be a problem matching the two.

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Some older Colt receivers used a bigger pivot and takedown pin set, ie "large pin colt." The bolt may have been a bubba workaround. You should first determine the pin diameter on the lower and locate an upper to match.

4. ianmagerl

ianmagerl New Member

Many thanks, the "large pin" term helped me find some better info. they make retro fit pins for them.

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Daniel Defense may still offer a large pin upper for older Colt lowers. Or you can find conversion pins to mate a small pin upper.

6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

7. ianmagerl

ianmagerl New Member