Colt 45 history

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by warbirdfinder, Jan 10, 2008.

1. warbirdfinder

warbirdfinder New Member

I have a Colt 45 "Peacemaker", that I acquired over 40 years ago. The serial number is 1533**. Would anyone have any history or direct me somewhere to find history on this gun? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2008
  2. ScottG

ScottG New Member

Colt Mfg will tell you all you want to know and send you a certified letter...for a price.

This link is to a pdf file, you'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view it. The prices are from 2005.

A bit too steep for me.

3. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

They don't have records from before the fire though. IIRC, the original plant burned to the ground in the mid 1860s. My grandmother has a pistol that is pre-fire and Colt has no record of it at all.

4. Boris

Boris New Member

Single Action Army Model

There should be a bunch of guys there that could help you, but the best advice is to invest in a Colt research certificate, they will have the factory records for it I am sure, as the fire destroying Colt records was I think a good deal earlier.

My little blue Colt Book for that serial number gives a manufacturing date of 1893 (149000/153999), a year after the transverse cylinder catch was introduced..............

David....