Colt 1911s

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by 97cobra, Jan 1, 2012.

1. 97cobra

97cobra New Member

Recently purchased a glock 29 as a concealable woods gun and now I'm big in the market for a colt 1911. I suppose I'm just asking for input on recommended models. Also, which one is most accurate for target shooting? A guy at the gun club ha his at the range and it shot like a dream. I believe it was a gold cup but not 100% sure, I was more excited to hoot it than inspect it. But like I said just looking for some advice from you guys because this will be my first 1911 and I couldn't be more excited to go pick one.

2. airline

airline New Member

I have NIB Kimber 1911 stainless II for sale. Let me know if interested.
    I think that colt is overpriced.

3. 97cobra

97cobra New Member

Have anymore details and pictures?

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I don't have a Kimber.

Accuracy in any semi-auto is something that may or may not be bought NIB.

I've seen RIA's that can punch 5 rounds in 1 hole. I've seen other brands that were acceptable with 5" at 25 yards.
    Look at Customer Service, Cost, Appearance, Quality of parts, Assembly.

5. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

When you buy a "Colt" 1911, you are paying a pile more money for the name.

The best buy is probably on Springfield Armory guns, maybe even Rock Islands. With the high-end guns you are also paying for name brand and bragging rights. Along with the bragging rights you get a nicer finish, but not necessarily a better shooting gun.

My advice, unless money is not an issue, would be buy a less expensive gun and a lot more ammo and range time.

6. arizona

arizona New Member

Consider American made pistols like the Remington and some of the Hi-Standards. Just be careful and ask the manufacturer about the specific gun you wish to purchase!

7. 97cobra

97cobra New Member

I was actually looking at one of the Remington's featured in guns and ammo.

8. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Do a lot of shopping, as that is part of the fun. I've got six, 3 imports & 3 domestic. No issues at all with the domestic, feeding issues with all the imports.

Keep in mind that folks will post their problems on the 'net, trying to get help trouble shooting them. Many that don't have issues, don't always say so, unless asked. So, take what you hear in gun forums with a grain of salt, because the % of problem guns maybe real small when compared to the number sold. In some respects, manufacturer's rep for customer service is more important than what you read about problems. In that respect, Springfield has one of the best reputations for good service although I don't have a Springfield so have no personal experience with them.

9. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I have a High Standard 1911A1,its made in the philipines by Armscor same as Rock Island.they are damn good pistols. Ive got 1,300 rounds through mine with 0 problems or malfunctions,i will never part with it.

20111205_175231-1.jpg

20111205_175010-1.jpg

10. Olympus

Olympus New Member

If you're looking for a Colt and you want something for strictly target shooting, the Gold Cup is the model you want. Like others have said, you tend to pay a premium for the name "Colt". But that's no different than the fact that you pay significantly less for guns with the "Hi Point", "Raven", "Jimenez", etc. Every name has a reputation attached to it, as well as a premium or discount in terms of price. You pay more for the Colt name because they've made an amazing reputation for producing amazing quality guns for a VERY long period of time.

That being said, are there other companies that haven't been around as long as Colt and can make a comparable quality product? Sure there are. But bring out a vintage 70 Series Colt Gold Cup next to Springfields, Rock Islands, and any other common brands and see which one gets the most attention. Not saying that it's fair or that it's right, but it almost always happens. My old man has a stainless Gold Cup and it's a great gun. I've got several 1911s that were a lot more expensive and a lot better made than the Colt, but nobody ever seems to notice when we show them to a group. People seem to be blinded by the word "Colt" on any gun.

11. glockman55

glockman55 Member

Don't limit yourself to american made only, you'll mss out on some fine guns.. Sig's 002 (Small).jpg

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

Referring back to Mr wray and his hi standard, I've handled one in a store, and wow, it was nice. The slide felt like it was riding on ball bearings.

13. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

You might check these out

Well I did a lot of looking and for the money either one of these are a quality firearm and a good value for your money the Colt Combat Elite was no higher priced then any of the comparable or equivalent forged 1911's and the Remington R1 Enhanced so far (700rds) has been worth every penny to me and neither are "hard on the eyes"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  14. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Like Kimbers aren't??
    Springfield has something for most price points.

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

colt has the fewest mim parts of any of the under 1000$ 1911s. fewer than some of the over 1000$ ones too. most parts are either forged steel or made from barstock. they are made the same way they have always been made since colt started making 1911's.

compair a colt side by side with a kimber or remington or sig and its obvious why they are better. its not the name its the attention to detail.

16. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Agreed. Ya my gold cups have been pretty heavily modified but they are still very accurate and well made.

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

That's exactly what I did a couple weeks ago. Your absolutely correct, and I didn't even fire a single shot.

18. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I've got Colts & a Kimber, but have had no issues & haven't needed their customer service. Just from what I've read, pro & con, Kimber customer service gets mixed reviews. One big complaint is slow service on warranty work. Of course, dealers are telling me anywhere from 6 to 8 months on new pistols, so stands to reason their shop is busy. Another is that they won't even talk to you about feeding issues until you have 500 rounds through it. Many think that isn't right. I have to agree because you shouldn't have to invest in that much ammo to prove a new pistol is broke. I read a comment by a Colt rep. saying "If a Colt doesn't feed properly from day 1, it's broke, send it in". Colt service, as well as quality seemed to falter in the '90s, this admitted by 'dyed in the wool' Colt fans, but they say both has improved in the last 10 years. Something like that is hard to live down.

As far as the name recognition, they were the original & everyone else is a copy. I'm not saying that in a negative way, just as a fact of life & explanation for the value put on Colts, whether it's deserved or not is another question.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  19. gollygee

gollygee New Member

They ever make a commander size, that is a TRUE commander with 4.25" barrel with a barrel bushing, I will try them.

20. 97cobra

97cobra New Member

I'm looking for an accurate yet still semi concealable package. Probably officer size or so.