Colt 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by mt232, Jun 3, 2012.

1. mt232

mt232 New Member

I was looking to get a Colt 1911, are there any in the $600-$700 range? The few I have seen have been way over that, just need some recommendations please.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

check out MetroArms American Classic, High Standard, or the Rock Island Armory pistols. they are made in the Phillipines, but are very well made. i owned an American Classic II in 45, very well made and very reliable, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. i am very impressed with the RIA pistols and have been looking at one at my LGS, but it was a fullsize and i was wanting a Commander sized 1911, so i had him order me a RIA commander sized 1911. the High Standard is also from the same maker as RIA from what i gather, and there are several members here who swear by them.

check out also Springfield Armory Mil-Spec model 1911 or even possibly the Remington R1. either of these two are excellent choices if you can get them within your budget. either of these will be at the upper end of your budget if not, maybe just a little more. i have a SA 1911, very nice pistol, and just bought a Remington R1 Enhanced about two weeks ago, and am extremely pleased with it so far.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012

3. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I think the Colt 1991 is in that range. It's like an original 1911 but with a few upgrades.

4. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

I just purchased a used Colt 1991 series 80 for $500.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You have two paths to your Colt.
    1. Buy used, shop, shop, shop.
    2. Save another $400 and get the new Colt of your choice.

6. mt232

mt232 New Member

Thanks for the information guys, I'm gonna try and save up some more since the nicer ones I want are a little higher up. Its gonna be my first 1911 chambered in .45 so I want it to be a good one.

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Wise choice!

8. mt232

mt232 New Member

I've seen a lot of 1911s on here that you guys own and some of you have had them for a while. I just want one that is reliable and will last me a long time.

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Understand-
    Remember "settleing" leads to "unsatisfied" -
    If at all posible get one you really want the first time - THEN you can buy more later :)

10. mt232

mt232 New Member

Good point, I couldn't agree with you more on that one

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

CHEAP!!! is always expensive, and a compromise.

What are the long term consequences of instant gratification?

WAIT, SAVE and and get what you want.

You will be happier in the long run. Trust us on this one.

12. fetep

fetep New Member

That is the best advice I've seen in a while!

13. fetep

fetep New Member

Had to say great post also! You guys are on a role!

Great advice from wise men.

14. mt232

mt232 New Member

I have to agree they know their 1911s

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

there is only one instance where i advocate settling for another choice, and that is when you have multiple choices that you intend on buying. example, a couple of weeks ago, i went to my LGS to buy a Colt Commander that he had on the shelf, but ended up buying a Remington R1 Enhanced instead. both were pretty close in price, but the Colt had been sold so i bought the R1. i had already planned on buying either the R1 or the Ruger SR1911 anyways, so now i will buy the Colt at a different time. i usually make a list of different firearms that i am on the lookout to buy if the price is right and i find them available.

i agree with what the others are saying and it makes erfect sense. don't shortchange yourself and settle for less than you want. if you have to save and wait a little longer,then it will be worth it in the long run.